Author Topic: compression garments  (Read 2942 times)

rimo301

is it necessary after surgery to wear compression garment for 4 weeks or something ?
would gynecomastia come back if i didn't ?
what would happen ??
thx alot

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I generally request that my patients wear snug compression garments for four weeks after surgery -- other surgeons may differ.

Whatever the length of time, compression garments do play a pivotal role in recovery from gyne surgery.  First, the compression minimizes post operative oozing/bleeding, it minimizes swelling, it helps the skin to tighten and it helps the skin adhere down to the muscle and fascia -- all of which will make the healing proceed faster.

And while it would not prevent re-growth of breast tissue (which actually is quite rare), by preventing collections of blood or fluid (which might eventually become scar tissue), it helps to preserve the new contours of the chest.  Of course, some scar tissue does develop -- that is the natural process of healing.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

rimo301

I generally request that my patients wear snug compression garments for four weeks after surgery -- other surgeons may differ.

Whatever the length of time, compression garments do play a pivotal role in recovery from gyne surgery.  First, the compression minimizes post operative oozing/bleeding, it minimizes swelling, it helps the skin to tighten and it helps the skin adhere down to the muscle and fascia -- all of which will make the healing proceed faster.

And while it would not prevent re-growth of breast tissue (which actually is quite rare), by preventing collections of blood or fluid (which might eventually become scar tissue), it helps to preserve the new contours of the chest.  Of course, some scar tissue does develop -- that is the natural process of healing.

Dr Jacobs

Thx Alot Doc. u really help me

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024