Author Topic: Arm weak, fingers numb  (Read 3404 times)

Offline The Twins

• Posting Member
Had surgery Wednesday.  Excision via aeriola and lipo via small incision on my sides.  My right arm is very weak and I have numbness on 2 fingers and part of forearm.  Anyone experience that? Did it eventually resolve?  I'll call doc on Monday. They were closed this aft when I called.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I've never heard of anyone who had post-op weakness/numbing.

This sounds very serious Dude! Yes, contact your PS ASAP and get it checked out.

John.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 03:36:41 AM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline The Twins

• Posting Member
Never did get any ideas of the root cause of the problem from the surgeon, anesthetist, or the neurologist I was subsequently referred to.  Eventually figured it out on my own that it was likely caused during intubation ...ie. when they cocked my head back to put the tube down my throat, the nerve coming out of my c5-6 vertebrae was pinched/injured.  (the docs all narrowed it down to a stenosis (narrowing) of my c5-6 based on my symptoms). 

It took a few months to resolve and I have been 100% ever since.  I think it was perhaps an early warning of coming problems since I have a history of back problems (pulled muscles).  I have since been trying to improve my posture and overall level of fitness.

Offline snuffy

• Posting Member
I woke up one morning with left arm weakness, numb fingers, and a horrible burning sensation on the inside of my left scapula.  After having an MRI, I found out I had a herniated cervical disc that was crushing the nerve going down into my left arm.  Frankly, this sounds to me like what you have.  You may have gynecomastia, but you also might have a herniated disc.  An MRI will show whether or not you have a herniated disc and if it is bad enough that it requires surgery.  Having your head tilted back for intubation shouldn't cause these symptoms in a normal person.  In my case my disc herniation was so severe I had to have an anterior cervical fusion.  That sounds really scary, but they now do it as an oupatient surgery.  The surgery and recovery was virtually painless (honestly less than having a tooth filled) and my neck has never felt better.  Good Luck.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024