Author Topic: new to this board... questions about propecia.  (Read 2352 times)

Offline concerned

• Posting Member
Hello all,

I just found this website today and this is my first post.  I have become concerned that I possibly have gynecomastia after visiting my physician for a routine physical and he noticed what he thought was excess breast tissue.  I am 28 years old and have been taking propecia for about 8 years.  Over the past few years I have gained about 20 lbs and stopped working out because of work and general laziness.  I know that I'm out of shape, but I think I may also have developed gynecomostia slowly over time and not realized it.  I've also seemed to have a decreased libido recently.  I've now rejoined a gym and started a workout routine about 3 months ago.  

I've been reading posts on this website and have decided to stop taking propecia (as of now) as I'm worried that it has caused gynecomostia and decreased libido.  I'm hoping that if I get back in shape and stop taking propecia that the breast tissue will go down and my libido will increase.

My questions are:
1.  Will the breast tissue decrease now that I'm going to stop taking propecia?
2.  Will my libido increase now that I'm going to stop taking propecia?

I searched the forums but couldn't find a clear answer to these questions.  I know that everyone's body will react differently, but was wondering what most people experienced when they stopped taking propecia.  Thanks in advance and I'm glad that I found this website.

-concerned

Offline brm

• Bronze Member
1. The breast tissue might decrease now you've stopped prop but it may depend as well on how long you've been having  this tissue. Plus, if you put 20lbs on, we cannot be completely sure that  it is tissue. It may well partly be fat, which is  good news since  it is "easier" to get rid of fat than gland.
2. Propecia dropouts report lapses of up to 6 months before regaining a good part of their impaired libido.

3. How do you intend to treat your hairloss now?

Offline concerned

• Posting Member
1. The breast tissue might decrease now you've stopped prop but it may depend as well on how long you've been having  this tissue. Plus, if you put 20lbs on, we cannot be completely sure that  it is tissue. It may well partly be fat, which is  good news since  it is "easier" to get rid of fat than gland.
2. Propecia dropouts report lapses of up to 6 months before regaining a good part of their impaired libido.

3. How do you intend to treat your hairloss now?

Thanks for the response.

What do you mean when you say that it depends on how long I've had the tissue?  

I don't care anymore if I go bald.  I plan on shaving my head if it gets that bad.  I now believe that the side effects and high cost of propecia just isn't worth it.

I've posted up pictures to the picture section.  See username "concerned".  Thanks.

Offline brm

• Bronze Member
Tissue is said to potentially reverse if it is less than 1 year old. Over this mark, gland becomes fibrous and only surgery can get you rid of  it. As to the pictures, it seems to be a minor case, mostly fat, I believe. So now you' ve stopped propecia, work out! and I personally believe you should have a very decent chest  in 6 months time.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Concerned,

Brm said it well.

The answer to both your questions is absolutely almost positively maybe. In short, You'll simply have to see what happens over the next 6 months or so.  I think predicting a throw of the dice would be easier.

Good luck!
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024