Author Topic: Teen Help:Will it solve itself?  (Read 3685 times)

Offline irishguy

• Posting Member
I lost a lot of weight(roughly 5 stone) over a relatively short amount of time last year. I'm 16 and I'm sure I have gyne though it's not very serious, just slight puffiness around the nipple and some extra skin around the breast.

I was just curious, I've heard that in 90% of cases concerning teen males gyne ceases to exist within three years so has it ever cleared itself up for anyone here?

Offline wolfman

• keep fighting my friends
HI
There is a chanse that it will solve it self,i dont know how common it is that it will go back on its own. ??? it didnt for me i had to have surgery. >:(

MVH Henrik
i finally feel like im a man

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
that's the figure i've heard, though those for whom it went away are of course much less likely to be reading here.  if your case is borderline you could talk to an endo about encouraging fuller remission. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
I believe that figure is a little misleading because it includes the large number of cases that resolve themselves in several months during puberty.  Of the people who have had gyne for a year or two, I'll bet that the percentage of self-resolution is much lower.  Although it may be that some may occur that we don't see here, I've never read a post on these boards by anyone saying it went away on its own after they had it for two years. 
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline irishguy

• Posting Member
that's the figure i've heard, though those for whom it went away are of course much less likely to be reading here.  if your case is borderline you could talk to an endo about encouraging fuller remission. 

What does an endo do to encourage fuller remission?

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
i'd assume he does hormone tests to see what's out of whack enough to induce the gyne, then tries to rebalance them.  hypo could correct me, but estro blockers or similar.  if the tissue hasn't developed too far, it would be the same kind of effect as a natural remission. 

Offline Hypo-is-here

i'd assume he does hormone tests to see what's out of whack enough to induce the gyne, then tries to rebalance them. 

This is perfectly correct; a consideration for surgery would also be made. 

Importantly the patient would know where he stood from a hormonal point of view.  This is something very important as it has an impact on the likelihood of a recurrence of gynecomastia without some form of treatment and it has an impact on fundamental long term health issues generally.

If a problem was found then the options would depend upon the severity and nature of the problem, the country you live in and its medical politics and how conservative or progressive your individual doctor is.

All problems of a severe nature would definitely be treated one way or another, those of a more questionable nature would depend on the issues I mentioned.

Separately I would say;

Given the embarrassing nature of gynecomastia and the fact that it is bound to be underreported to health care professionals, many statistics both the ones I care to quote/agree with and the one I frown upon/disagree with must all be questionable to a degree.

I often wonder where the original figure of how men males suffer from gynecomastia originates from?

I can’t imagine it is something that could ever have been truly covered/studied. 

How was such a figure was arrived at, what was the criteria for it being regarded as developed and what was regarded as the criteria for it being regarded as resolved are all unanswered questions.

It only takes an alteration of the criteria/definition for us to have very different statistics.  I think this is probably far more relevant in such a general area than it is when it comes to statistical analysis of what causes known gynecomastia (such people are more likely to have either significant or long term gynecomastia,).

I’m not sure I have answered anything here?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024