Author Topic: Age for surgery?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline AlanW

Hello, My name is Alan and I am suffering from this condition. I have been suffering since I was 10 or 11 years old and I am now 17. I have the money to get the surgery performed, but I was wondering if I was maybe too young for the surgery, or if I should just get it done now? I would appreciate your honest opinions as it has had a good 6-7 years to clear up on its own, and it is only appearing to maintain or get worse.

Thank you  :)

Offline Vanatu

• Silver Member
I'm 17(will be 18 this year)
I'm having my surgery june 9th...

soon

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
As you can see, there is a general concensus that 17 to 18 years old is about the right time.

I do not agree.

While I would agree that it is the right age for a lot of people, it could be terribly wrong for a good number of people.

The critical issue is that you must reach almost full physical maturity before the surgery is done. By that standard, I would not have been a candidate for surgery until about the age of 35 due to hormonal problems.

This is but one of the reasons why it is important to see an Endocrinologist prior to seriously considering surgery.

Prior to surgery, you need to establish the cause of the Gynecomastia (if possible) and be sure that your hormones are stable at normal adult levels. If this important step is omitted, there is a risk that the breasts will regrow due to other problems which should have been resolved but were not even checked. Liver function is another thing that the Endocrinologist may want to check.

No doubt there are some of us who could be good surgical candidates at even younger ages; but that depends upon their physical maturity.

It is important to realize that physical maturity and mental maturity are two entirely different things.
Grandpa Dan

Offline remyrem6

• Posting Member
Whats up. Im 19 and just had my surgery yesterday. Im glad i had it done. Your only 17, still young.

You will feel awesome when you get surgery. It feels like I just bought a new bike or rollerblades or something, i havent felt this good in a while. I wanna take my chest out for a spin hahah as weird as that sounds. lol sorry i half ass'ed my  explaination of the feelling, but it feels great.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024