Author Topic: getting fluid drained, questions  (Read 4244 times)

Offline RSXracer

• Posting Member
i'm calling my doctors office to get a sooner appointment to hopefully get my right side drained. i'm now 11 days post op and have a large build up of fluids on my right side, left side is great. is there any danger in leaving the fluid in there any longer? would i need surgery to remove that fluid or just with a needle?

sorry i have alot on my mind, the nurse who didn't seem to know much said i may need another surgery on the right side, but the gland is gone its just swollen and full of fluids. the thought of reliving my past 12 days make me sick to my stomach.

Offline helloHELLO

• Silver Member
yea this happened to me too. i developed a hematoma on my left side.  so on the 2nd day post op i had to have another operation to drain the fluid out. it wasnt bad at all. the hardest part was not being able to eat or drink anything the night before surgery. 
what they did was re-open the incision and drain the fluid out (by literally squeezing it) and then cleaning the area with some type of liquid.  the whole procedure lasted about 15 minutes.  the doc is only able to take about 60% of th blood out (the rest is stuck on the tissue and would have to be absorbed out on its own).  thi means that ur right side will be slightly more swollen than the left, but everything should even out in about 2 weeks.  ur not gonna feel like ur back to day 1 post of after they drain out ur right side

Offline RSXracer

• Posting Member
hey thanks for the reply.

its been weeks already and still my right side is very swollen, looks horrible. my mom couldn't get ahold of the doctors office to make me another appointment today so she said she will try again tomorrow. i'm afraid after 2 weeks it will be too long to do anything, and the only option will be another more seriuos surgery with another long recovery time.

Offline helloHELLO

• Silver Member
it'll add another 2-3 week to ur healing, but dont worry, it'll go by fast.
is ur right side black and blue too??

Offline hyperballad

• Posting Member
that seems scary. my doctor told me i had to have a drain put in, it wasn't an option. it was a tube that went in my side up into my chest and fluids/blood drained into a bulb. i was sort of freaked out by it BUT i didn't get any build ups and not much swelling.

Offline RSXracer

• Posting Member
it'll add another 2-3 week to ur healing, but dont worry, it'll go by fast.
is ur right side black and blue too??

it was bruised but not any more. hardly any inprovement in the last few days

Offline RSXracer

• Posting Member
that seems scary. my doctor told me i had to have a drain put in, it wasn't an option. it was a tube that went in my side up into my chest and fluids/blood drained into a bulb. i was sort of freaked out by it BUT i didn't get any build ups and not much swelling.

i had drains put in, worked for the left side but not the right.

Offline RSXracer

• Posting Member
got it drained and it looks lots better, going for another check up next week. thanks for the help

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024