Author Topic: CONFUSED... GLAND OR ADIPOSE TISSUES OR ARE THEY ONE AND THE SAME THING?  (Read 2643 times)

Offline macho

• Bronze Member
my doc says i have a group of adipose tissues there. on right side its more. and on left side proportion is less.
i have uploaded my pics. u can see them in "USER PHOTOS" section.my question is that whether gland and the group of adipose tissues as my doc says are one and the same thing???

Offline dcvet

• Silver Member
They are not the same thing.  Adipose tissue is another name for fat.  The gland is a different type of tissue altogether.  Most cases af gyn are a combination of the two tissues.  I had surgery about 3 weeks ago where I had glandular excision as well as lipo to remove the "adipose" tissue.  Hope this helps

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
One of the major discussions on this site is whether you have gland (breast tissue) or adipose (fat tissue).  Bottom line is it really doesn't matter IF you are planning to have surgery.  Oh, and by the way, except in rare circumstances, you cannot look at a chest and tell whether it is fat or breast tissue.  In fact, ALL men have some degree of breast tissue on their chest.  And in most cases, there is a mixture of the two, with the densest breast tissue beneath the areola.

Most men with gynecomastia want a trim, contoured chest.  The only way to achieve this is to have well developed pecs and very little tissue (of any kind -- fat or gland) under the skin.  In essence, the skin should drape like a thin paper tissue over the muscle.

How do you achieve this?  Through exercise alone?  No!  Exercise will build up your pecs and it will simply push your excess tissues (gland and/or fat) further forward.  Through diet alone?  No!  Diet will shrink the fat on your chest but the gland tissue is unaffected.  Hence, your gyne might shrink a bit after an extreme diet but any remaining gland tissue would still provide bulk.  Both diet and exercise?  Getting better but still not trim and contoured if any tissue remains.

Surgery is really the best answer for you.  Properly performed gyne surgery will leave only a thin layer of tissue between the skin and the pec.  The surgeon should approach the operation with no pre-conceived ideas -- ie "I will only do lipo" or "I will only do excision."  Rather, (at least in my hands), the operation should proceed with agressive lipo first and then, if it becomes apparent that there is still dense glandular tissue remaining, proceed with excision at the same time.  Remember, this is not a breast cancer operation where you are trying to remove every last cell of breast tissue while trying for a cure.  It is a contouring operation meant to leave only a thin layer of tissue beneath the skin, and many times that thin layer will contain BOTH fat and breast tissue.

Bottom line -- from a surgeon's point of view:  It truly doesn't matter what you start with, what matters are the results!

Dr. Jacobs 
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024