Author Topic: Blu-ray disc anyone?  (Read 17387 times)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Anyone here have Blu-ray?  What are your impressions compared with DVD? What is in your collection so far?

I have the following on Blu-ray...

Robocop
The Fifth Element
The Matrix Box Set
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Ultraviolet
Ratatouille
Cars
WALL-E
The Simpsons Movie
Stir of Echoes
Species
Full Metal Jacket
Pirates of the Caribbean 'The Curse Of The Black Pearl'
HDScape Sampler
HDScape 'Fireplace'
HDScape 'Exotic Saltwater Aquarium'

Just bought 'Batman Begins' on Blu. Going to watch it now in fact... 

Anxiously awaiting 'Dark Knight' on Blu... 

GB
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 10:11:58 PM by Grandpa Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
you must be watching it on a decent widescreen ;D   are you noticing a visible difference yourself? 

shame hollywood's got to sell us the same thing over and over again.  last month i thought i saw some article about a company squeezing 16 gig or so onto one disk, something like 20 layers :o  don't get any fingerprints on that one, maybe they'll start putting them in enclosed cassette-like cases again.  and i know japanese tech guys are researching even more enormous scales of resolution for tv etc.  the way the screens are growing and the movie screens are shrinking, it really is getting to be home theater.  i'm going to try to be disciplined and save for the op now first before the big home set though, if you know what i mean.  cool emoti's btw.   

maybe i'll just wait and leapfrog you to the next-gen format in 3-5 years  :D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:01:08 AM by headheldhigh01 »
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

50 inch SONY Bravia LCD...       There is a noticeable difference but not to the extent of all the 'hype' that the format got before it was released... Some guys on Blu-ray.com say that they think there is a huge dif between DVD and Blu. I dunno, maybe it's just me...

16 Gig? Dude... Blu-ray has 50 Gig!

Yeah I'm hear'n ya broh, if I had to choose between surgery and a big screen... well, I'd still be watching my 32 inch CRT....  ;)

In 3-5 years they'll prolly have 3-D dispays... Holographic or something similar!  Now that would be cool....   

Yeah, awesome emoti's eh... there's lots more here... Emoticons 

GB

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Shame hollywood's got to sell us the same thing over and over again.

Check this out...

Robocop:

VHS
Laser Disc
DVD - Criterion Collection, MGM, 20th Anniversary Edition
Blu-ray

6 dif formats of the same movie...  Gawd...

However many of those have different extras... The Criterion and 20th Anni have the best extras...

"Dead or alive... you're coming with me."  ;)

GB
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 04:15:42 AM by Grandpa Bambu »

Offline headheldhigh01

16 Gig? Dude... Blu-ray has 50 Gig!
sorry, flubbed the numbers, 16 is the number of layers.  capacity is 400G.  that's bigger than most of our hard drives except those with new machines, and holographic versatiles are supposedly capable of more than 1T.  that is putting a lot of data in a very tiny space! 

http://www.ednasia.com/article-21133-pioneerdevelopsworldsfirst16layeropticaldiscbigsteptowardfuturelargecapacityarchivesystem-asia.html

for reference, a 5M drive in 1956.  http://blogs.pcworld.com/tipsandtweaks/archives/hard%20drive.jpg

if you have all 6 robocop editions, i'm going to have to finally see it   :o
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 02:22:21 AM by headheldhigh01 »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Hehe... yeah, Bill Gates was once quoted as saying "Why would anyone need anymore than 650Meg?"  ::)

You've never seen Robocop?   Duuuudddddeeeee...

Well, in all fairness, I've never seen any of the Indi movies...

GB

Offline headheldhigh01

what can i say, i'm a loser with gyne and no life  ;)  if i find myself recovering from an op, i'll consider renting it though, always wanted to. 

so now i get to catch you on a number too.  that quote is actually about memory, not storage, and it was 640K, though apparently he denied making it.  the trend went on.  like that great saying goes, intel giveth, microsoft taketh away. 

i was going to say maybe he learned his lesson, but then i found he called blu-ray the last physical format there will be, unless he was joking with reference back to the 640k thing.  some of the quotes about him are funny too. 

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bill_Gates

Offline manic91m9

• Gold Member
haven't bought a blueray yet but i watch them at work all the time, and while the quality is better its not much different to high def tv

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Yup, Blu-ray disc is an improvement over DVD (both audio and video) however, it's not as good as all the pre-release hype... I was expecting more from the format to tell you the truth... It's a good format, but it's not worth replacing all your DVD's for...  ;)

Actually, a live sports broadcast in HD is far superior to Blu-ray. Some live sports progs in HD are just astounding... It's almost as good as being at the event...

GB

Offline Grandpa Bambu

so now i get to catch you on a number too.  that quote is actually about memory, not storage, and it was 640K, though apparently he denied making it.

Yes you are correct there dude... 'Memory' it was...  My bad!

GB

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
HD-DVD?...anyone?
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline Grandpa Bambu

HD-DVD is toast dude...

GB

Offline Copespo

• Gold Member
I thought blu-ray would fail and brought a HD DVD player, a few days later WB signed with bluray and I was in the 30 day return period thank god...returned the  HD-DVD player and kept the money since I already have the PS3 and use that as a bluray player.

To be honest I have 1 movie on bluray, Superbad, and everything else is DVD. I actually download movies to be honest, and I place them on my PS3 HDD and play them off that.... There is a huge difference with bluray, the picture is "Amazing" but then again I cant see myself buying bluray movies....its a little too much..for me...
Lose 10 (kg) by August... Achieved
Lose 5 (kg) by Mid-September.....Achieved
Gain 20 (lb) in Muscle by December.......Achieved, Gained 24lb in Muscle
Gynecomastia Consultation October 17, 08......Complete

Surgery Completed January 8th, 2009 with Dr. Elliot Jacobs in NYC!

Offline MSJ108

blu ray is insane! I got a good cheap player at Wal-mart. I love it!

Offline MSJ108

I thought blu-ray would fail and brought a HD DVD player, a few days later WB signed with bluray and I was in the 30 day return period thank god...returned the  HD-DVD player and kept the money since I already have the PS3 and use that as a bluray player.

To be honest I have 1 movie on bluray, Superbad, and everything else is DVD. I actually download movies to be honest, and I place them on my PS3 HDD and play them off that.... There is a huge difference with bluray, the picture is "Amazing" but then again I cant see myself buying bluray movies....its a little too much..for me...

I was waiting for one of the two formats to win out. I knew it was going to happen I just had to be patient. As soon as Bluray won, I got me one!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024