Author Topic: Question For Doctors: Excercise Advice - Pre op  (Read 2235 times)

Offline impervious

• Posting Member
Doctors, another question for you...Can you make any suggestions in regards to the best type of exercise to prepare for surgery. 

For many years I've lifted heavy weights to build muscle, but have altered my routine to group exercise classes such as yoga, core conditioning and strength training.I'm focusing on training my body to stretch the muscles and joints with the hopes that this will be beneficial during and after the surgery for healing purposes. 

Or is it better to really focus on building my chest muscles to help the muscle and skin conform better after surgery? What are you thoughts? Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 02:28:01 PM by impervious »

DrBermant

Doctors, another question for you...Can you make any suggestions in regards to the best type of exercise to prepare for surgery. 

For many years I've lifted heavy weights to build muscle, but have altered my routine to group exercise classes such as yoga, core conditioning and strength training.I'm focusing on training my body to stretch the muscles and joints with the hopes that this will be beneficial during and after the surgery for healing purposes. 

Or is it better to really focus on building my chest muscles to help the muscle and skin conform better after surgery? What are you thoughts? Thanks.

I work with many Bodybuilders with Gynecomastia.  Building muscle is great for sculpting the muscles, but many complain whatever is on top of the muscles, just gets pushed out further.  For the individual with loose sagging skin or muscles, bodybuilding can be an effective tool for shaping the chest.  I know of no muscle building techniques that help with basic healing issues.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline puffbiggie

• Posting Member
no surgery yet, so I have been concentrating on upper and middle pectorals.  by having small lower pectorals conceals the problem better when relaxed, but shows when you flex.

I see surgery in the future, but I'm concerned about the scars.  I have seen Dr. Jacobs result at user photos:  http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=15339.0

and it seems he is using side incisions rather than nipple/ areola line incisions.

Scars are noticealble especially since they do not tan at the same rate, and surface irregularity.  I am wondering if excision via side incision (endoscopic extraction) is something that can be perfected to give better results. 

As for cutting nipples, I think Dr. Bermant's results are best at this time. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024