Author Topic: ? for Doctors  (Read 2578 times)

Offline Doomed

• Posting Member
I need to take anti-convulsant medication for a medical condition I have and have/am experiencing gynecomastia due to elevated prolactin.  My Doctor has tried various medications in the class needed, but all seem to have this effect on me.  We have also tried low dose Tamoxifen and low dose Cabergoline, but I could not tolerate these medications due to bouts of hot flahses/facial flushing.

I am trying to come to terms with, that perhaps I may need to learn to accept the gynecomastia as a side effect of treatment for a larger medical issue but my question to you is, are there any medications that I can ask my Doctor about that would help with the pain/discomfort of gynecomastia?  The pain and discomfort can be quite severe at times and is very troubling to say the least.  Any advice on what I can mention to him to help manage this aspect would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DrBermant

I need to take anti-convulsant medication for a medical condition I have and have/am experiencing gynecomastia due to elevated prolactin.  My Doctor has tried various medications in the class needed, but all seem to have this effect on me.  We have also tried low dose Tamoxifen and low dose Cabergoline, but I could not tolerate these medications due to bouts of hot flahses/facial flushing.

I am trying to come to terms with, that perhaps I may need to learn to accept the gynecomastia as a side effect of treatment for a larger medical issue but my question to you is, are there any medications that I can ask my Doctor about that would help with the pain/discomfort of gynecomastia?  The pain and discomfort can be quite severe at times and is very troubling to say the least.  Any advice on what I can mention to him to help manage this aspect would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There are many medications and drugs that can cause gynecomatia.  Some effect the hormone system. I prefer to defer endocrine problems to an Endocrinologist who specializes in hormone issues.  Getting your neurologist to work with an endocrinologist may help minimize side effects of necessary medications.

Compression Male Chest Garments can compress the gynecomastia contour, but will not address the underlying imbalance causing the problem.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024