Author Topic: Gyno or fat.. Is surgery the only way?  (Read 3226 times)

Offline mr_man

Hi Guys,

I have been lurking for a little while and just recently joined up.

I needed some help assessing my current situation and would really appreciate other people's views on my pics.

A bit of background about me I am 6'2 and I use to weigh 291 pounds. I am now down to 179 pounds through exercise and eating better.

I feel I still have a fair bit of fat to lose (not really weight) i.e. I am skinny fat... I need to gain muscle and lose more fat.

But I am very self concious about my chest and appearence in tees and shirts. To the point I am considering getting gyno surgery.

Could you guys look at my pics and let me know if you think losing more fat is all I need to do? Or, if the problem is that I have gyno?

http://img26.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc02597d.jpg

I know gyno is a combination of fat and gland but my current thinking is if it is fat surely I can lose it through exercise. After losing the weight that I have I feel I could lose any amount I needed to. But would like to build up muscle and then cut down etc.

I spoke to my brother who is a doctor and he had a feel around and says it is very hard to tell with most people if the issue is too much gland etc but he said it feels like gland is not an issue here. I also don't think I have any issues with puffyness.

And again If I had to pay for the surgery I would but I only really want to get it if it is the only option left. If I can do it with hard work then I would do it like that. But I don't at the same time want to waste time, like if i need it now or in a year would rather get it sooner than later.

I am going on a bit now :) but would appreciate anyone's comments.

Thanks

Offline john_loren

• Bronze Member
No gyno whatsoever.  Stop freaking out , man!  :P

Offline mr_man

Hi,

I was just wondering why you think it isn't gyno? I just want to be completely sure and don't want to waste more time :(

Is it just fat I need to lose?

Offline kingboob

No gyno whatsoever.  Stop freaking out , man!  :P

I dunno, he certainly doesn't have the classic puffy nipple bodybuilder gyne. but IMO there is a slight  shape to the chest that would make me feel uncomfortable.

I'm no expert but to my eyes it looks like a combination of remaining fat and lax skin...... there could be some gland but it is impossible to say just by looking - you would need a experienced surgeon to have a look.

Your upper body and arms seem really lean and at 6'2 180 your BMI is in perfect range.... but your chest does have a slight deflated look (probably due to the weight loss), and you don't really have much muscle tone either   -  Doing more weights in the gym might help or it might just push whatever is there further out.

I think people on this site tend to fall into two categories -  those that see gyne everywhere and believe surgery is the answer and those who never see gyne (or only if a guy has like double D breasts) and say surgery is never the answer - diet and exercise etc etc.

The reality is somewhere in the middle and I think a good surgeon would be able to explain what options there are for tightening the chest up without leaving nasty scars - because basically it is a trade off.   

Simple lipo might do the job if no gland is present, it depends if you already lax skin will snap back enough to give a nice result.

I probably asked more questions than I answered there (sorry!), but if it were me I would probably get some consults with a view to having surgery.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 03:16:10 PM by kingboob »

GynO_DuDe

You'd definitely benefit from the surgery BUT only if you want to end up looking the same, with a smaller chest.

But do this first, don't spunk 4k just yet ... Hit the weights and go on a high protein/low carb diet and by the end of the year, make a decision. After putting on a lot of muscle mass, judge for yourself.

Offline thetodd

Im unsure whether its just gyne or just loose skin. But it will need surgery, chest exercises's if anything will probally make them look more misshapen

from looking at the front pics you have a lot of loose skin, so it wouldn't just be a gynecomastia operation. Youd basically need a lift and removal of skin which could mean you have some visible scarring. If i was you id go and have a consultation with karidis if youve got the cash!

admittedly you wont get as good results as lads like me who have just had the basic lipo/gland removal. Your going to be left with a WAY better looking chest. Your skins lost its elasticity because its been stretched now the only course of action would be to have it removed surgically, exercise wont do it!
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

DrBermant

Hi Guys,

I have been lurking for a little while and just recently joined up.

I needed some help assessing my current situation and would really appreciate other people's views on my pics.

A bit of background about me I am 6'2 and I use to weigh 291 pounds. I am now down to 179 pounds through exercise and eating better.

I feel I still have a fair bit of fat to lose (not really weight) i.e. I am skinny fat... I need to gain muscle and lose more fat.

But I am very self concious about my chest and appearence in tees and shirts. To the point I am considering getting gyno surgery.

Could you guys look at my pics and let me know if you think losing more fat is all I need to do? Or, if the problem is that I have gyno?

http://img26.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc02597d.jpg

I know gyno is a combination of fat and gland but my current thinking is if it is fat surely I can lose it through exercise. After losing the weight that I have I feel I could lose any amount I needed to. But would like to build up muscle and then cut down etc.

I spoke to my brother who is a doctor and he had a feel around and says it is very hard to tell with most people if the issue is too much gland etc but he said it feels like gland is not an issue here. I also don't think I have any issues with puffyness.

And again If I had to pay for the surgery I would but I only really want to get it if it is the only option left. If I can do it with hard work then I would do it like that. But I don't at the same time want to waste time, like if i need it now or in a year would rather get it sooner than later.

I am going on a bit now :) but would appreciate anyone's comments.

Thanks
Congratulations on the weight loss!!  118 pounds is a great deal of weight.  Residual deformity is usually a combination of remaining gland, fat, and skin.

I prefer my Standard Pictures for Evaluating the Male Chest After Massive Weight Loss.  There are specific views that tend to show the loose skin component better than standing upright.  The flexing muscle views attempt to show just how low the nipples are and if they are below the pectoral muscles. 

After Major Weight Loss skin and supporting tissues retract only so much leaving sagging and drooping.  These are usually global factors affecting most regions of the body.  For men, the sagging chest is often the biggest concern.  However, there are often issues of the stomach, thighs, buttocks, arms, and more.  While a Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty can help with the front, a Lower Body Lift helps deal with the stomach, thighs, and buttock sagging. 

Low Nipples Look Strange on the Male Chest. Male Mastopexy Chest Lift can help with the gynecomastia and lift drooping chest tissues.  For some patients, my small incision skin reduction chest lift is an option.  Others may need excess skin under their arms and upper back addressed with an upper body lift.  However, the upper body lift scars that go around the back are a compromise factor that many seem to prefer avoiding since this is not as well hidden.

My chest lift patients use their stomach and lower body to help get around.  My lower body lift patients use their upper body to help mobilize.  Performing both at the same time means much more discomfort and less mobility.  I prefer to perform my lower body contouring first permitting tissues to adjust, and then doing the chest lift.  Lifted chest tissues can be pulled down if the lower surgery is done second.

Being patient can be of value.  If further weight loss is planned, losing before surgery is usually better than after.  Tighten skin with surgery, subsequent weight loss usually results in loose skin again.  Loose skin can take some time to finish shrinking after weight loss, from 6 to 18 months for gastic bypass patients.

No Surgery Body Shaping Garments can be a temporary contouring option while stabilizing weight or waiting for skin to shrink.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia of Male Chest Ptosis - Sagging and Male Mastopexy Chest Lift Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024