Author Topic: What are my options  (Read 2497 times)

Offline indyadam

I'm sure I have an extreme case of gynecomastia, but have never seen a doctor about it.  I used was at 320lbs two years ago and have now gotten down to 210lbs, but haven't seen any reduction in my breast size.  This is very embarrasing and I am trying to figure out my options being that surgery is really expensive.  I still have another 40lbs to lose to reach my goal weight, but don't know if even losing that will help.  Let me know what you guys think.  Thanks.

Offline JamesDawson

• Bronze Member
I would recommend getting a consultation with a surgeon that specializes in gyno/breasts. Since you haven't had a reduction in your breast size you must have a lot of tissue but surgery and lipo will really reduce their appearance. Everyones body is different and we lose weight in different areas so you could notice a big difference when you lose another 40 lbs.

DrBermant

I'm sure I have an extreme case of gynecomastia, but have never seen a doctor about it.  I used was at 320lbs two years ago and have now gotten down to 210lbs, but haven't seen any reduction in my breast size.  This is very embarrasing and I am trying to figure out my options being that surgery is really expensive.  I still have another 40lbs to lose to reach my goal weight, but don't know if even losing that will help.  Let me know what you guys think.  Thanks.

Congratulations on the weight loss so far!  Have you checked your BMI Body Mass Index or your Body Fat Analysis?  Weight loss is the first place to start for making oneself feel better about one's body. Weight loss is a coarse tool, you cannot pick where the fat goes on, nor where it comes off. Male Body Fat Distribution tends to put fat on first on the belly and chest bands and takes it off those regions last. Early surgery is a bad gamble before weight loss. If you have early surgery, and then lose weight, and if the weight comes off in a male pattern, it may look like the gynecomastia has recurred. That is why as a surgical sculptor I prefer to use a coarse tool first and reserve the plastic surgery for refinement. Of course this does not make as much money as the surgeon advocating early "jump start" surgery who then can offer a revision after weight loss. Such compromise surgery can never make an obese person not look obese. They are still cursed with global fat and breasts, just breasts of a smaller size.

For my patients I recommend that they get to a weight / body fat that they are comfortable with, let the skin compensate as much as it can, then consider surgery. During this weight loss No Surgery Body Shaping Garments are a fantastic tool as a temporizing contour measure that many of patients, even those living in hot environments, use to put off the stress of body contour issues while they stabilize a problem or lose weight.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
A 110 lb weight loss -- fabulous!

It is unfortunate that your breasts did not decrease much, though. 

Would recommend you get down to your lowest and most comfortable and stable weight.  At that point, your will be much healthier and will undoubtedly have some loose skin.  In order to obtain a flat and contoured chest, you will require surgery to remove the tissue, re-position the nipples and remove excessive skin.  This will require a skilled gynecomastia surgeon and I would suggest you do your research very carefully.

When you have reached that goal, I would be pleased to provide you with a free email consultation.

Best of luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024