Author Topic: I really dislike my chest..  (Read 2797 times)

Offline MrRoach

• Posting Member
I'm 18 years old, and I've had this problem since like the fourth grade. It's been a pain having to walk in public, attempting to hide the huge dent on my chest and the 2 hills of fat that surround it. I've been dieting like crazy for 2 months now and I exercise daily. I might need surgery to get rid of this anomaly but I'm hoping I don't have to resort to it. Picking out shirts is such a hassle these days :/

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Sorry, but the photos really don't show the dent that you are talking about -- perhaps you can add other photos (perhaps use some shadowing to illustrate the dent) or use a finger to point to it.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline MrRoach

• Posting Member
oh sorry, I should explain.. the dent is not actually on my chest, because obviously that would be something to worry about. I'm talking about the dent that appears when I wear a shirt. A normal person can wear a shirt and keep a decent flat chest but I always have a dent when I wear any shirt.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
OK, you then talking about the central chest depression (your sternum) and your two breasts. 

The photos still do not show everything -- a series of photos taken by someone else showing front, side, 3/4 views are a minimum.  Also, provide us with your age, height, weight and maximum weight.  You will then receive some comments from guys on this site.

Dr Jacobs

Offline MrRoach

• Posting Member

I'm 5 foot 6 and I weigh 168 pounds
the heaviest I've been was a year ago when I came dangerously close to 190

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Your BMI is 27.1, which makes you mildly overweight -- and this is confirmed by your photos.

If you have gyne at all, it is very mild.  Would strongly recommend a 3 month (at least) trial of strict diet and exercise -- if, after losing some weight, your chest appears mostly unchanged, then you might consider consulting with a surgeon who specializes in gyne surgery.

Dr Jacobs

DrBermant

I'm 18 years old, and I've had this problem since like the fourth grade. It's been a pain having to walk in public, attempting to hide the huge dent on my chest and the 2 hills of fat that surround it. I've been dieting like crazy for 2 months now and I exercise daily. I might need surgery to get rid of this anomaly but I'm hoping I don't have to resort to it. Picking out shirts is such a hassle these days :/

I'm 5 foot 6 and I weigh 168 pounds
the heaviest I've been was a year ago when I came dangerously close to 190

A 5'6" 168 pound person is overweight by definition, actually right in the middle of that range. BMI Body Mass Index and body fat percentage with how fat distributes on the male body are all critical concepts to better understand before considering surgery check this post about where fat goes on the male body and weight loss issues. When there are global body fat issues, surgery should not be the first consideration. Weight loss before surgery is typically better than weight loss after surgery.

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=20879.msg142033;topicseen#msg142033

The male chest can have a dent in it, when this is a structural problem it is called Pectus Excavatum. I do not see such a problem on the pictures shown. Gynecomastia, or male breast enlargement will create elevations around the central anchored tissue of the sternum. It is not the "dent" that is the deformity, but the surrounding tissues being an elevation. Here is a discussion of the Anatomy of Gynecomastia:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=14795.0

That other discussion also mentions body shaping garments. Over the years I found that such garments were a powerful tool to help my patients become comfortable while waiting for a problem to stabilize or weight loss. Years ago I developed a demonstration of the body shaping garments with different types of weight problems with pictures showing the problem and how well the garment contoured. There are also videos showing how the tissues bounce:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18919.msg131399;topicseen#msg131399

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member: American Society of Plastic Surgeons and American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Specializing in Gynecomastia and Surgical Sculpture of the Male Chest
(804) 748-7737

Offline xoxoxoxo

• Gold Member
I know what you're talking about 'coz im also having a hard time picking what to wear just to hide my gyne.

Offline MrRoach

• Posting Member
I know.. it's extremely annoying and the self-conscious feelings are almost unbearable.  :-[

Offline xoxoxoxo

• Gold Member
I know.. it's extremely annoying and the self-conscious feelings are almost unbearable.  :-[

but you're still lucky man 'coz mine is bigger than yours. :)

Poor me!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024