Author Topic: is this treatable ?  (Read 1975 times)

Offline moobhelp1

I have been targeting this area in the gym for a while now, but the fat tissue on my chest does not seem to move..

Wonder if this is a candidate for surgery..

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
As you have observed, the breast area seems to be one of the first places where fat is accumulated and one of the last where it is lost.

Sometimes weight loss even to an unhealthy degree will not reduce the breast fat. Targeted weight loss is a myth perpetuated on infomercials.

Could it be sculpted by a skilled cosmetic surgeon? No doubt it could if it bothers you.

As your question related to treatability, You have posed a difficult question to answer easily. If you mean treatable with drugs the answer is no. You have already found for yourself that exercise does not work.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Very mild gyne.  Even though you have been working out, perhaps a bit of weight loss could help to chisel you somewhat.  You could also help with a snug compression garment.  Ultimately, if those options do not work, then you might consult with a plastic surgeon for an opinion.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline moobhelp1

Dr Jacobs,

thanks for your response... Just a few more questions on your suggestion

How much weight-loss do you recommend (My current weight is 172lbs and i'm 5'11")
I was about 10 pounds lighter before 3 years and it wasn't any better ....

Also these compression garments that u suggested, do they make a permanent difference ?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Your BMI is 24, which is very good.  I doubt whether a few more pounds lost would make a substantial difference in your chest.

As for compression garments, they will provide a better contour for you while you wear them.  Obviously, when you remove them, you are back to where you were -- they do not change your physical structure.

If you are still concerned about your chest, then perhaps a consult with a plastic surgeon could help put your problem into clearer perspective for you.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024