Author Topic: My Klinefelter's Story  (Read 5739 times)

Offline Dominic1982

• Posting Member
When I was younger I was diagnosed with Klinefelter syndrome, a condition where males have an extra X chromosome. It causes many physical problems, one of which being gynecomastia.

I started developing breasts in junior high school. It was painful to see my male friends develop in a more masculine way while my body was becoming more feminine. They of course certainly noticed and I felt trapped inside my own body for years.

Fortunately I received a diagnosis early on, so at least I could explain what was happening to my body. There is no cure, since the condition is chromosomal, the only option is intervention with testosterone treatment. I tried this for several years to no avail.

Today as an adult I’m trying to accept my body for what it is. Some days are hard, but every day I grow stronger inside.

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
Hang in there Dominic.  I know what it's like to have lots of physical problems.  I was just diagnosed a few months ago with almost certainly having some genetic polymorphisms that was formerly considered very rare with only 3 surviving adults known.  So basically I was ignored and undiagnosed and called names for 50 some odd years because I should have been dead before 2 or so damaged as having to be in a nursing home.  I had all these problems and was blamed for it being "all in your head" and stuff like that.  These polymorphisms can cause multi-organ breakdown as well as hundreds of biochemical and hormonal changes and I came close to the edge a few times.   I have to say that the breasts were no longer any problem as soon as serious health problems came to the forefront including getting hit by a red light runner resulting in fractured back and other problems.

Don't let the bastards wear you down.  A question for you.  Did having a diagnosis, a cause for what was happening to your body, make it easier to accept for you?  Your family?  Were the kids in jr high still brutal and nasty about some kid having bigger breasts than most of the 7th and 8th grade girls?  Did your friends and other kids know about the diagnosis and were they supportive at all or even worse or...?

For me the breasts started popping up quickly in 5th or 6th grade, completely unexpected and the first in my grade.  Did you have warning that was going to happen?

Offline Dominic1982

• Posting Member
Alchemist, I certainly hope that your health has taken a turn for the better these days. I can't imagine what it would be like to be misdiagnosed or not diagnosed for so long.

Myself, I didn't receive a proper diagnosis until about the age of 21. (I'm in my 30s now). It was nice just knowing there was an underlying reason for what I was going through. That gave me some self confidence.

Unfortunately, that was far too late to help me in my school years. I had noticed some friends were getting puffy nipples around that time, probably mild cases of gyno, which I got too. So I thought nothing of it. But mine just continued to get bigger. I tried to hide it from my family as long as I could - I was embarrassed. But it got to the point that it was impossible to hide.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Thank you for bringing Klinefelter's Syndrome to light on this forum.  Perhaps it is in some small way helpful to you that you indeed know the cause of your gyne.  Many others simply do not know the cause and wonder if they may have caused it themselves -- which is rarely the case.

Coping is difficult but this forum may be able to help you.  Welcome to a fraternity of guys who understand.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Jay55

Dominic, while you have breasts, you certainly look to be in great shape! And there's a lot of truth in what you say about growing stronger inside. As long as we don't cave in to the idea of what is "normal" and other's hurtful and hateful comments, and ignorance by those who don't bother to educate themselves, we get stronger. Not only are we stronger, but we can be a great inspiration and comfort to others. Stay strong Dominic. You're not alone.

Offline Dominic1982

• Posting Member
Thank you Jay. Happy to be in a place where I'm not alone!

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
Hi Dominic,

I've been prescribed testosterone since 2000. I've been on thyroid since age 8; at least they got that right before I had brain damage. They both helped, along with other things.  My control of the multitude of symptoms is pretty decent these days.  I came to a better solution than the "standard" treatment which only works poorly at best. 

I lost 20 years to disability including congestive heart failure.  I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure 23 years ago.  Because I found the solutions I did, I no longer have congestive heart failure symptoms, and need no meds for it. I walk a tight rope keeping my body in balance.  Many of the "automatic" body systems don't work well.  I have to manage electrolytes manually and responsively for instance.

I'm able to live a mostly normal life, allowing a couple of hours a day to deal with keeping healthy.  Now at 67 I'm the healthiest I've even been and if things go wrong they could go wrong very fast.

You look like you are doing well.  It's good to be young and reasonably healthy.

After decades of wrong diagnoses and wrong treatments, I finally have a doctor that believes me and finds my symptoms reasonable for what I have. 

Best of luck to you.  Enjoy your life.  Be in good health.

Offline Dominic1982

• Posting Member
Today I wore this shirt at the gym, something I wouldn't have fathomed to do years ago. The great advice I've received here gave me the courage to do so.  ;D

Offline MrSeb

• Posting Member
Dominic, I think you have a great attitude and what's more you are keeping in great shape, we can't all conform to society's ideas of normal, whatever that is. I have great respect for you and your mental strength.

Offline Dominic1982

• Posting Member
Thank you Seb. I probably work out as much as I do just to overcompensate - meaning if I can't change this part of my body, I can change the rest!

Offline igotum

• Bronze Member

Dominic,
  I admire your attitude. I have a good frame of mind about my breasts too. Your breasts are not ugly like mine but that fact does not bother me at all. I am one of the old farts that wears a bra!!I just got out of the hospital with my heart. It has an atrial fibrillation episode/event every year or two. That worries me...... Not the breasts. I am 68 years old. You are young and your decision to live with breasts will just make you stronger. You are already strong just by making that decision. Glad you joined our group.
Welcome,
Jerry

steven618

i've actually seen your pictures all over the internet when I first began developing awhile ago and was curious what was going on with me. Being 28 I knew it wasn't age or low t in the sense of age or whatever. Googling around I came across forums, sites, etc. And saw your pics on quite a few of them. Idk if you posted them or if they were just used cause some were lets just say explicit lmao. But au the contrary as a gym rat myself it was your pics and a few others who looked masculine still even with sizable breasts that made me realize surgery is great and all but accepting ones self for what they are mind body and soul is even greater. I feel the battle is strictly in between our ears and the problem with within societal norms that insult opposed to embrace people for what they cannot help such as Kleinsfelter or just breast development for idiopathic reasons such as many others deal with. As said previously I've seen your images before and its great to have you on the forum you've been an inspiration in being proud of the body you have opposed to ashamed of it and gym pics made me very much more comfortable being in the gym during regular hours not caring and just working on power lifting again opposed to late nights when its scarce to get what i can before others show up. Thanks again for your unknowing inspiration and glad to have ya on the forum keep up the good work and hope ya inspire others

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
i've actually seen your pictures all over the internet when I first began developing awhile ago and was curious what was going on with me. Being 28 I knew it wasn't age or low t in the sense of age or whatever. Googling around I came across forums, sites, etc. And saw your pics on quite a few of them. Idk if you posted them or if they were just used cause some were lets just say explicit lmao. But au the contrary as a gym rat myself it was your pics and a few others who looked masculine still even with sizable breasts that made me realize surgery is great and all but accepting ones self for what they are mind body and soul is even greater. I feel the battle is strictly in between our ears and the problem with within societal norms that insult opposed to embrace people for what they cannot help such as Kleinsfelter or just breast development for idiopathic reasons such as many others deal with. As said previously I've seen your images before and its great to have you on the forum you've been an inspiration in being proud of the body you have opposed to ashamed of it and gym pics made me very much more comfortable being in the gym during regular hours not caring and just working on power lifting again opposed to late nights when its scarce to get what i can before others show up. Thanks again for your unknowing inspiration and glad to have ya on the forum keep up the good work and hope ya inspire others

Hi Steven,

Keep going.  There is nothing to fear but fear itself.  Experience the freedom.  You don't have to check 100 times a day that your shirts are hanging right.  You don't have to fear wearing a comfortable shirt.  And when it comes right down to it the breasts are just another unique part of a unique body.  Accepting ones self I think is by far the healthiest choice.

I'm the healthiest now I have ever been and intend to enjoy it in the body I have.  Good luck.

steven618

Thanks! So much for the words of encouragement!!! I guess the fear is when I have kids what will they think when kids are asking bout dad's breasts. Float trips, pools, etc. Not that i'd care but at the risk of embarrassing others I may be with I'd probably not go. Especially since everyone I know knows me to be muscular and have a flat chest and think the breasts I seem to be growing are just pecs till I'd take my shirt off and there they'd be... I'm perfectly comfortable with them myself, though as of the last few days they have been very sore and tender feeling. Which last time this feeling was here it was a growth spurt.. just happy for this forum and this site that gives me peace of mind and peace of the spirit in not caring about it and being happy about who i am not what i have on my body. I see people with all sorts of physical "flaws" and they are happy as can be and i take this site and people like dominic and many others as inspiration and encouragement

steven618

Dominic I do the same far as working out, especially my arms more than anything not cause they are the show off muscle but cause i feel if people notice my breasts especially when i am wearing my sports bra and the sweat forms around it which scares me a lot, that they won't think anything MTF about it when they see the arms facial hair etc....i've always loved working out so its not an insecurity to do so but def an over compensation now days to ensure i look as good as i can as a man so others don't think otherwise. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024