Author Topic: local or general anesthesia  (Read 2809 times)

Offline MaxMax

• Posting Member
What is the best type of anesthesia for the removal of my gynecomastia? Personally I would very much prefer a local anesthesia. Are there any disadvantages?

DrBermant

What is the best type of anesthesia for the removal of my gynecomastia? Personally I would very much prefer a local anesthesia. Are there any disadvantages?

Each surgeon has his / her preferences about anesthesia.  I typically use local with heavy sedation.  That is not general anesthesia, but the patient is not awake.  We use medications injected into an IV for this sedation.  That is how we help keep our patients comfortable for most types of gynecomastia chest sculpture.  Sedation itself is an art.  I will use local anesthesia alone when performing actual nipple reduction surgery.

I prefer to perform tumescent anesthesia with sedation over general anesthesia or local anesthesia alone for most types of male chest sculpture. We take the comfort of our patients very seriously. You used to be able to find a number of posts here in this forum where patients describe their anesthesia experiences under this local anesthesia with sedation, however they all have been purged with the recent update.  You can find a number of patients talking about personal experiences with local anesthesia and sedation here.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
i had general once, it wasn't bad.  twilight would probably be the next best thing.  but local would leave you with memories of pulling and cutting sounds and stuff being yanked out.  memories i don't want or need   :-X
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Warlord

• Posting Member
  • My battle with gynecomastia has begun.
i had general once, it wasn't bad.  twilight would probably be the next best thing.  but local would leave you with memories of pulling and cutting sounds and stuff being yanked out.  memories i don't want or need   :-X

Agreed.  I have no desire to be conscious for the procedure.  I'd much rather be out and awaken to a new me...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024