Author Topic: Vancouver to Toronto (my story)  (Read 24718 times)

Offline Zardoz

• Silver Member
  • exciting
My appointment with Fielding is tommorow. It cost me six hundred bucks to fly across the country just to have this guy squeeze my boob and say "ok". I have to leave my house at 4 am for a flight without letting any of my 4 roomates know I'm flying to Toronto and back in the same day, because I can't afford a vacation! I am maxing out two credit cards for this. I'm bummed as well that I didn't dicover this sooner, cause now summers here and it's t-shirt days. I hope my friends don't notice. What do I tell them when I come back all bandaged and sore? What do I say when they all want to go to the beach and I can't because I'm healng? Hmm.

Oh yeah, my case is mild and I've never had a problem finding girlfriends. I did have a few of them tease me a little bit about my moobs. THing is, I haven't had a gfriend in over a year. I have turned away or ignored so many girls that have hit on me because I'm scared I will get close to one and then she will know when I come back from my op what I did. And then she might tell people.

I can't wait till this is over!!!

160pnds
5'7

http://community.webshots.com/user/zardoz134
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 10:52:50 PM by Zardoz »

Offline Zardoz

• Silver Member
  • exciting
Now that I think of it, we shouldn't be ashamed of ourselves. I desperately want to talk to people about this. I especially would love to tell my mother, mostly for financial support. I just don't know if people would understand, or make fun of me. But I guess that once it's gone, people will have nothing to make fun of anyway!

"Hey, see that guy, he used to have saggy man boobs."
"Who?"
"That guy......."
"He doesn't have boobs."
"He got them lipod."
"That's nice."

I think that people really won't care. We all have those friends that will bring it up over and over for the rest of your life. The soccer buddy, the co-worker etc. Those are the ones I don't want to know.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 01:12:32 PM by Zardoz »

Offline toronto

• Silver Member
  • Gyne Free since April 27, 2005
so your spending $600 to fly to toronto for the consult? what happens for the surgery another $600?

you said your maxed, he charges for lipo, mine was $1200 plus gst, please keep that in mind, plus they say the payment is due 5 days before the surgery, please be aware that you will probably have to pay that fee while your there now (or see if they can take a credit card number over the phone later on, or maybe a cheque?), how does the reciprocal billing work?

good luck and let us know what happens...

Offline Zardoz

• Silver Member
  • exciting
I left for Dr.Fieldings office on Monday, April 25th 2005. I had an appointment for my Gyne diagnosis. In order to make my 4:45 pm appointment in Toronto I had to be at the Vancouver airport at 5 am, this means sneaking out of my house at 3:30 am, trying not to wake my roommates. I was so fucking nervous that I didn’t get a wink of sleep all night. I just tossed and turned and sweat (It’s also 17c at night  in Vancouver right now). First of all: I have always wanted to see Toronto; now I have this grand adventure before me, with two flights across the damn country in one day! Yeah, I did this in one hell-of a day. Funny, I made it back into Vancouver at 9:30 pm, pacific; and I haven’t slept more than an hour in 21 hours now. You think I could sleep on that plane? It was one of those scary little planes, not the cool 747’s that feel like a mother’s womb. This thing shook like a rattle every time we went through turbulence. I was so shook up by the concept of sneaking off across the country to meet Dr.Fielding to get an operation that would change my life on my first time in Toronto with only 2 hours of free time.

Anyway, I’ll get to Dr. Fielding.

His office is not hard to find. I won’t draw you a map, but from Pearsons it’ll it’s a short bus trip down the freeway and a ten minute subway ride to his office at Blane station. It actually takes exactly 1 hour by transit to get from the airport to the downtown core at Young st.(If you choose to go downtown). But damn it was fun, the Toronto subway is so ancient and huge compared to our little shytrain. I totally felt like I was in this gritty movie set in New York. The people there seemed a little….bummed. It was much colder today in To, only 4 C. There are way more black people, hehe. Vancouver has many more Chinese people….. whatever. Downtown is awesome, it’s huge.

Dr.Fieldings office is very modest. It was a very busy day and there were many people there from all different walks of life. None of the other patients appeared rich or snobby. I never felt embarrassed because nobody there cared, they are all just probably getting some deformity fixed, that’s it. But it just felt like a low fi Dr’s Office. Dr Fielding is a very nice, very modest guy. I brought up the Gyno forums and he told me he would never come here because it is our space, not his. I told him he came highly recommended and he was pleased but very modest. He spoke about how gyno is still not that well understood in medical circles as in they are still learning much about what exactly causes it and what the best treatment techniques are.

He got me to take my shirt off and took a couple measurements with his ruler. He seemed really sensitive in that I might be embarrassed, but not really. He’s very professional and a very likeable guy.

I do have gyne, (like I didn’t know). He’s charging me $1248.00. I asked him about price differences between patients but he said his price is pretty standard now.

The receptionist is also very nice. I even think they paid special attention to me because I flew so far to see them. He’s never had a patient come from farther than Alberta. She told me that my health care would probably pay for my airfare! That would be amazing cause I don’t know how I’m going to afford a hotel for 5 nights, which I plan on staying in Toronto, I really, really just want to check that amazing city out more.

My roommates don’t even know I left. I feel kinda dumb for keeping such a cool story secret because I’m embarrassed. Well, I’m feeling less embarrassed about the concept everyday.

Then I flew back on a 747 which was so surreal. Flying in those giant beasts, 40,000 feet in the air, at 700 miles per hour. Wow, all in one day, total adventure. Maybe I should sleep.

I can’t wait to go back!

My op is set for June 22. Two months wait now!

Wow, all in one day.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 12:56:45 PM by Zardoz »

Offline Blitz

• Gold Member
  • Thank you Fielding
Cool story Zardoz.  How much have you spent so far?  How much do you have left on those credit cards? The $1248 for surgery. does that include gst?  I take it you can't fly back home right after surgery?  If not, I would start looking for some cheap package deals on the internet.  Toronto is not a cheap city to visit.  Maybe someone from this forum can be of some help.  

I felt the same way about New York when I compared it to Toronto.  New York is much busier, grittier and you get all walks of life there.  I was there for 3 weeks back in 1996 and when I came back home to Toronto, I said to myself, I live in the greatest city in the world.  

Offline Zardoz

• Silver Member
  • exciting
So far I have spent $568 on airfare for my first visit to the office. I spent about $100 that day on Taxi's, buses and food.

I have a budget of $3000 on my credit cards, plus whatever money I can gather from work. I can afford this, I might just have to make a friend in Toronto. There are many cheap motels in the city, I don't need to spend $1000 a night at the Sheraton. I bet the ministry might pay for my lodgings as well!

Offline Spleen

Go for it bro.  It's only money.  I go for surgery next week myself.  In my case I've never really let my big nips get in the way of a good time.  I'm 36 and I might not even be getting cut if not for the fact that a) $$$ is not an issue for me and b) it's a good excuse to get some lipo too.  I feel funnier about getting the lipo because it seems self-indulgent and narcissistic.  Wouldn't the world be a better place if we could all accept our teats and give the money we'd spend on surgery to help the unfortunate?  Maybe, but we need spread the love around, and that means being good to ourselves too.  

And never be ashamed.  Shame is for the things you do, never for trhe things that are done to you.

Offline toronto

• Silver Member
congrats, if you get the flight paid for, post details on how, i've noticed other people asking about that in the past...

which airline did u fly?

did you find Toronto cold?

was June 22nd the earliest date?

did you pay fielding yet? normally it's 1200 plus gst it looks like..

i had my surgery today with Fielding, I was nervous, but really there was no reason to be...you might want to see if you can get someone to go with you or at least pick u up from the hospital because they ask you like 4 times if you have someone there with you or picking u up, I know Bambu has offered before, maybe try contacting him, i should be in Cuba that week soaking up some sun (with some strong sun tan lotion on my chest!)

Offline Zardoz

• Silver Member
  • exciting
 congrats, if you get the flight paid for, post details on how, i've noticed other people asking about that in the past...

"which airline did u fly?"
Canadian airlines. I found it very enjoyable, if not a little terrifying. They feed you well and you get to watch movies. I got a seat deal.

"did you find Toronto cold?"
Hah! Toronto was soo cold compared to Vancouver. It's practicly tropical here. The people on the subway look pissed off.

"was June 22nd the earliest date?"
Yes. Half way through summer.

"did you pay fielding yet? normally it's 1200 plus gst it looks like.. "
I don't have to pay until 5 days to the op. $1248. He's gone way up, cause my case is very mild compared to some like Bambu.

Offline Zardoz

• Silver Member
  • exciting
Ahh summer. What a terrible time to be a gyne sufferer.

Offline toronto

• Silver Member

"which airline did u fly?"
Canadian airlines. I found it very enjoyable, if not a little terrifying. They feed you well and you get to watch movies. I got a seat deal.

you mean Air canada right? Canadian is no more

does he work less in the summer? you've got almost a 2 month wait between consult and surgery..

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Maybe someone from this forum can be of some help.

Zardoz...

I am on a weeks holiday from work the week of your surgery, so I have some spare time on my hands. If you need a buddy to be with you at St. Josephs Health Center, I would be more than happy to help out. I could also meet you at the airport if you would like. That would save you a few bucks on Taxi/Limo fare. I live like 10 minutes from the airport and about 30 minutes from St. Josephs. It's your call Dude.

Please let me know what you want to do so I can plan out that week. Thanks!

My Wife 'Patricia' worked at the Four Points Shereton (10 min from St. Joe's) a few years back and a friend of hers still works there. Patricia might be able to get you a good rate for the 5 days that you need a room for. Would you like me to ask Patricia if she could look into that for you?

John.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 02:24:40 PM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Zardoz

• Silver Member
  • exciting
Wow Bambu. That would be rad of you. I don't know anyone else in the area. I accept your offer of help.

I was thinking of looking into motels in the area. The Sheraton sounds nice but even at $100 a night it's a bit much. I bet I could find a motel deal waay cheaper. That's what I want to look into. I planned on staying in TO for about 5 days or more, so that I can check out the city!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Wow Bambu. That would be rad of you. I don't know anyone else in the area. I accept your offer of help.

Great! When you find out the day and time that you are to arrive at Pearson, let me know and I'll meet you there.

I was thinking of looking into motels in the area. The Sheraton sounds nice but even at $100 a night it's a bit much. I bet I could find a motel deal waay cheaper. That's what I want to look into. I planned on staying in TO for about 5 days or more, so that I can check out the city!

Okay, no probs....

John.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 07:18:01 AM by Bambu »

Offline Zardoz

• Silver Member
  • exciting
Ahhh! I met this beautiful girl at a party, she's totally stoked on me. I mean...she's fucking hot, she looks like that brunette from meet Joe Black. Anyway, she totally wants to hook up with me and my operation is in less that 6 weeks!

I've had plenty of girls in my life...although not 1 in a year since I've turned down several chances to get laid looking forward to surgery. Winter can be your friend. I know I will  be self concious and I hate showing fear! You can't help but feel like any reasonshe doesn't stick around is because of your insecuurity.

So, either I get together with her and she learns of my surgery (If she sticks around), or I do nothing at all (I'm not that embarassed).

Ahhhh...I can't wait to be normal.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024