Author Topic: legalman's gyno: surgery on 07/29/09 - new pics  (Read 8315 times)

Offline legalman

• Posting Member
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:59:35 PM by legalman »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I did two cases like you this week.

My over-riding concern in approaching gyne surgery is to minimize scars and maximize the results.  Sometimes, in an effort to minimize scars, one needs to settle for an 85-90% improvement, instead of 100%.

Your case is honestly borderline -- with a problem of asymmetry to boot (your right breast is larger and more droopy than the left).  However, I do try an aggressive approach with minimal scars on patients such as yourself with the mutual understanding that some, but not all, of the skin will spontaneously tighten.  You will undoubtedly have some residual laxity, which will take the form of a residual fold under the breast.  And minimal scar techniques do not allow for improvement in the asymmetries between the two breasts.  On the other hand, you would have avoided a significantly longer operation with major permanent scars on your chest.  And, 6-8 months after minimal scar surgery, if you still have some objectionable skin laxity, you can have a much more limited skin removal surgery (which can make the nipples more symmetric as well).  This would leave smaller scars than you would have had in the original surgery.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline legalman

• Posting Member
i just wanted to share that i am confirmed for surgery on 07/29/09. just got home from my last visit with the surgeon followed by the pre-surgical consultation at the hospital.

based on my conversations with the doctor, i should expect "lollipop" or "comma" shaped scars no longer than 7 (mm? cm? i forget) from the nipple, depending on how he feels during the surgery. he will perform excision, skin reduction, and location of the nipple to the appropriate position on my chest. i am obviously very excited to see my results.

unfortunately, i am still fighting with my insurance provider about coverage. their most recent denial indicated that i had not attempted sufficient treatment with anti-inflammatory pain medications prior to determining whether the surgery was medically necessary. my surgeon has been kind enough (after stern warnings about the possibility of being responsible for enormous medical bills) to continue with the operation regardless of the fact.

i will post again about my surgical experience, if readers are interested, and i will also include pictures.

Offline kingboob

I don't know how anti inflammatory medications are supposed to get rid of those things?   And a quick dose of ibuprofen certainly isn't going to heal the mental scars from carrying around boobs for the last X number of years............ I hope they pay up for you.

Offline BobMiller

• Posting Member
Congrats on getting in for surgery. Your case seems the most similar to mine out of all the stories and pictures I've come across on this web site. Mine do not seem to sag down as much but the size is there. How much is surgery going to cost, if insurance pays or not.

Offline legalman

• Posting Member
after a harrowing morning on the telephone, i am happy to report approval from the insurance company. cutting it close... i received a call from a case manager at the hospital today threatening to cancel my surgical reservation for tomorrow morning if they didn't receive authorization by 14:00 today. needless to say, i was distraught. miraculously, i was able to get through to a nurse in pre-d at Anthem, explain a few things, and within 20 minutes i had my denial overturned and an approval code. if only all the mess dealing with insurance until now could have been so simple...

Offline legalman

• Posting Member
so had the surgery on wednesday morning. everything went well, but when i got home it was hematoma city on my left breast. we're talking Dolly Parton here... enormous.

it started bleeding pretty badly, and i ended up having a rather dramatic moment at the PS' office when i fainted and lost a pint of blood... had to be rushed back into surgery at the hospital via ambulance so he could fix it. after spending the night in the hospital i am home and recovering as best i can. left side is still rather big, but no hematoma at least. going into see the doctor again this AM.

he ended up doing excision plus lipo, in addition to skin removal and repositioning of the nipple. i will post pictures as soon as i can get out of this ridiculous excuse for a compression garment.

ps: i feel like i've been hit by a train... the demerol eases teh pain a bit, but then its impossible for me to sleep because i'm wired. what did you guys take for pain? whats a good one to just knock you out?

Offline legalman

• Posting Member
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/cpampine/private/IMG00420-20091003-1443.jpg

from today, about two months after surgery. still having some minor issues with suture expulsion/dissolution and minor nipple deformity on the right side, in addition to scar resolution and residual swelling.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 03:01:26 PM by legalman »

Offline soldier0816

Dude your before and afters look great... good for you bro.

Offline balalayka

• Silver Member
Congrats legalman. The results look fantastic.

Offline Personal1

• Bronze Member
Must feel good being able to wear a nice shirt now huh?  8)

Offline jimmy663

• Posting Member
Legalman,
You look amazing, who was your PS. My case is similar to yours, my surgery is scheduled for November 6th.
Thanks

Offline legalman

• Posting Member
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I can't wait to see the results after I'm fully healed. The surgeon was William E. Weber, M.D. He has apparently performed thousands of female breast reductions, although I'm not sure about the exact number of these procedures he has performed on men. As far as I understand, his surgical techniques are pretty straight forward. No special canulae or fancy lipo devices. During my original consultation, he mentioned having had extensive experience with male breast reduction during his residency at Georgetown, but that was over twenty years ago. He did not woo me with a portfolio or promise anything exceptional regarding the results, however he seemed very confident he could correct the condition, and what I could expect regarding the scars.

To be honest, he was the only plastic surgeon in my small town, and he accepted my insurance, so I went with him. I think there was a great advantage to going with a local doctor due to the complicated surgery I had to undergo. If this had been done outpatient in a neighboring city (about an hour away), I wonder what would have happened when I developed my hematoma the afternoon following my surgery. Fortunately, being local, Dr. Weber was able to get me right back into surgery at the hospital and promptly fix everything.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 04:55:23 PM by legalman »

Offline KAG

• Posting Member
Wow! thats some dam nice work! You look great! I would send that surgeon some kind of Thank You gift for sure.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024