Author Topic: Will working out help at all?  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Pharmaecopia

• Posting Member
I've had gynecomastia for nearly 3 years now, since I was 15. I was a late bloomer, my voice didn't deepen until I was probably 17. Mine is really mostly just gland tissue and very little amount of fat. I was wondering if doing something like p90x or something would help me out. I'm going to do it regardless because I'm so scrawny. The docs pretty much told me straight up that I could live with this for the rest of my life and I definitely can't afford surgery. Looking for any type of alternatives cause getting sick of hiding myself and feeling so insecure every minute of everyday. As I'm sure you guys know, that can take a toll on someone. Glad there is a place to come and talk about this stuff.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 04:55:56 PM by Pharmaecopia »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Obviously exercise is beneficial to everyone.  And I have seen some terrific improvements in guys who used P90X.

But I do have to burst your bubble about exercise getting rid of your gyne -- it doesn't.  The excess breast tissue lies on top of your chest muscle.  If you build the muscle, it will only push the excess tissue out further.  If you have long established gyne, then the only way to get rid of it is through surgery.

IN the meantime, why not buy one of the firm body compression garments to provide a better shape and better self image.  Save your money and consider having surgery sometime in the future.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Pharmaecopia

• Posting Member
Got pics back. Bellybutton looks weird haha. I normally wear 2 to 3 shirts and it covers pretty well. Do you think I would get weird looks from people if I were to walk around shirtless? I think working out would draw attention away at least. I hope.

Offline morpheus11

• Silver Member
you don't have bad gyne. if mine looked anything like yours, I wouldn't be ashamed of it. Chill out, live life, and slowly save for the surgery. You look fine.

As for the working out, DO NOT GAIN WEIGHT! Do cardio and weights, but do stay away from bench press or anything else that works your chest.  If you work out your chest, the muscle will push the gyne further out, making it more noticeable.

Offline Chicago

• Silver Member
I don't agree with not gaining any weight (muscle). I think its better to be strong. That helps in multiple areas of your day to day life. If the rest of you is fit, and you're not trying to win a body building competition, it'll just be a minor thing.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024