Author Topic: How bad?  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Chill

I'm 18 years old, 5'9" and I weigh about 170. About 2 years ago I weighed around 220-225, but I've slowly and steadily lost weight, first getting down to 195 and then within the last 6 months going down from 195 to 170. Still a bit chubby and that's why I've started to do some weight training along with cardio.

I first noticed problem around 6th grade and since then haven't even come close to taking off my shirt in public (unless switching clothes in gym counts). I feel like the pictures don't look as bad as what I see when I look at them in the mirror. Even when I wear compression shirts they seem too big to look muscular because I don't have the biggest arms. It really just bugs me when I sit down, because I can feel them just slouching over me... I also have "puffy nipples" when they are not hard, which makes it even worse.

I also haven't come clean to my parents about this either. The only time I've come close to it was when I was able to get out of swimming class in 7th grade. I went to my mom and told her about how the kids made fun of me. I haven't approached her about it since though and was wondering if any of you guys knew how I should talk to her about it?

Offline hatemymoobs

• Silver Member
Congrats on the weight loss.
Looks like an average case of gyne to me. You're build is similar to mine, however I may have it a bit worse than you.

Definitely talk to your mom/dad about it- if you feel they'll understand and be sympathetic. It took me forever to tell anyone, but I finally told my wife, then my mom, then my dad. It's nice to not hide from them, and have someone close to me to talk to.

I also wear compression tank tops- it helps with the point and reduces the size a bit, but it's not the most comfortable thing... Also it almost looks like I have really strong chest muscles, but my arms are thin too so I still kind of slouch a bit to hide the contour.

It's a painful thing to live with man- but having support has helped me a lot. I'm seeking treatment for my hormones if needed and consulting with surgeons. My family supports me and understands how it effects my life- and that is very important for me.

Good luck.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
You asked how bad it is. I cannot answer that for you.

One man who has rather large fully contoured breasts may be able to live his life largely oblivious to his breasts.

Another man may have small pointy nipples but is constantly tugging at his clothing and adjusting his posture to conceal his nipples.

For the first man it is not bad for the second it is terrible. The question has nothing at all to do with size or the opinion of anyone other than yourself. If you can live with it and ignore it then it is not bad. If the condition is causing you grief or embarrassment then it is truly bad.

It is not the size that makes it bad, it is how the condition effects you and your self image.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Most profoundly agree with Paa_paw -- he is a wise man.

It is not how bad your problem is -- it is whether you can live with it or not.

Here are some facts.  You do have a mild to moderate case of gyne.  Having been heavy and having puffy nipples tells me that your gyne will not totally disappear even when you have built muscle and come down to your lowest comfortable and steady weight.

You will then be faced with smaller but residual gyne.  You can deal with it by ignoring it, wearing a compression garment to provide a better shape for you, or considering surgery.  Surgery is elective -- it can be done at any time in your life, so there is time to save for it and determine when or if you want to do it.  If you do decide on surgery, then please do your homework and choose your surgeon very carefully.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024