Author Topic: Is my case a bad case of gynecomastia?  (Read 6453 times)

Offline Just

• Posting Member
It feels like it is, and I've suffered from it for a good year and a half now. But I want your opinions if its a bad case and recommend me getting surgery or not. I've still not told my parents about it. I'm 15 years old.

From the picture it doesn't look like the other nipple is the same but it is. Both nipples are identical. It looks horrible underneath a t shirt.

hammer

I've seen a lot worse! I'm no doctor, but it is posable that at your age it may still go away. I'm not sure how long it takes when you get it during puberty.

Offline Just

• Posting Member
Thanks hammer but It's been ruining my life for so long and I tape my chest everyday to hide it. In my school there is about 3000 students, I've not seen one with a case like mine when it actually sticks out of the t-shirt. So I feel mine won't go away and I've never built up the courage to speak about it and I will never be able too.

Another picture - They always change shape sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse.

hammer

Then you need to talk to your parents so that you can get an appointment with your doctor. Hopefully they will understand. As a father and grandfather I would want to know what is going on!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Please stop using tape. Over time it can cause pigmented scars to develop which are cosmetically worse than what you are trying to hide.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Just

• Posting Member
The tape i use is thinner than kitchen tape. It's like 50% thinner in height so it just covers the nipples and around the body. It's the best solution i've found and I really want too stop but I can't until I find a better solution for me.

Offline walt

• Gold Member
hi you  being only 15 im sure most docs will tell you to wait atleast a few more years as most teens out grow puffy nipples .some do not but if you do get them removed they can grow back in some cases and then its knife time all over again so it is a consideration to think about. anyhow good luck

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Please post a question in the "Ask a Doctor" Section about the use of tape. Seriously, it really can cause problems over time. Perhaps one of the Doctors will have something safer that works just as well.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
First, I would recommend using a firm compression shirt rather than tape.  It is not the thickness of the tape that is harmful -- it is the constant irritation of the adhesive -- it can result in pigmentation in the outline of the tape which can last for many years.

As to your situation, your posted photo is not great but it your gyne is readily apparent.  Age 15 is not too young for surgery (I have operated on boys as young as 11 in certain circumstances). And, with almost 300 cases of adolescent gynecomastia under my belt, I have never had a recurrence of the problem.

However, what is important is that your condition has been present and stable for a minimum of two years.  After that, it is unlikely that it will regress spontaneously.

Your next step is to sit down with your parents and discuss the situation with them -- they may not be aware of the problem or how it affects you.

Assuming they want to help you, the next step is to find an experienced gyne surgeon in your area.  You are going for a consultation only -- in essence a fact-finding experience.  No one will push you into surgery, but at least you have some professional information.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Just

• Posting Member
Thanks for the advice guys. I will look into a safer solution. Does anyone recommend liquid bandage?

Offline Just

• Posting Member
Also I was in the shower before and i can see scars from the outline of the tape. Are you saying these won't go now?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
No way to predict how long they will remain -- just stop using the tape and hope for the best.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Brackiechan

Hey buy tang tops like at target I get a size small so it compresses my chest it helps and feels way better hope this helps I tried the tape method it does messed up your skin 

Offline Wilford77

This information  is very constructive for correct planning. I like your work for providing information to the other.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I agree with Dr. Jacobs.  You're a young guy, but not too young to have surgical correction of your gynecomastia.  You appear to have very little body fat, but you have the obvious "puffy nipple" issue.  That is caused by breast (gland) tissue lying right behind the nipple/areola.  Your surgery should not be extensive, based on the photos you've posted.  Discuss this with your parents; it's worth getting a professional opinion from a plastic surgeon experienced in gyne surgery.  Good luck-

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024