Author Topic: Surgery Tomorrow  (Read 4916 times)

Offline ASRel

• Posting Member
The big day's almost here. I'm having surgery with Dr. Fielding tomorrow 10 AM at St. Joseph's Hospital ( August 24th ), I'm starting to feel a little nervous, but not as much as I first thought.

It's been quite a while since I first made the phone call to book an appointment with Dr. Fielding, and I'm glad I made that move. I'm also glad I found this forum, otherwise I wouldn't have made the decision to call.

I'll keep everyone posted, hopefully I can get on the computer tomorrow and post my post-op experience.

Offline Achilles

• Silver Member
Good luck man!  If you can, try posting some before and after pics.   I've got my consult with Fielding on Monday and I'm really excited for it!

Offline ASRel

• Posting Member
Well I'm post-op now. Feeling fine, a little sore if I try to move around though.

I must say the actual surgery itself was a breeze, the worst part was waiting before the surgery. I'm only getting on the PC now because 1. my mom wouldn't let me get on the computer and 2. Rogers was down for a while :(.

I'll post details about everything that happens tomorrow, my parents are bugging me to get off the computer.

Offline ASRel

• Posting Member
Surgery:

Here's my experience of the surgery yesterday:

First yuou go into the hospital, you get all signed in, you show your healthcard and one of the administration fills out some forms. Then you're give your wrist band and sent off to another area.

There you get the wrist band put on and you're given two gowns and a cap. You wear one on the inside backwards and the other one forward like a bath robe.

From there you're asked to wait a bit, and a nurse comes and checks your weight and height and checks some information.

Then you just sit and wait for your time to have surgery. You're taken to the operating room area by the anesthesiologist and the Dr. Fielding (the surgeon). You're asked to wait outside the operating room for a few minutes while the anesthesiologist sits outside and asks you some questions.

Then you're asked to go into the operating room, you're asked to sit up on the operating table and take the gowns off while Dr. Fielding takes a few pictures and draws a few lines on your chest. Then you're asked to lay down while an IV inserted into your hand (this is the only part that hurt during the operation) and your blood pressure is taken.

After then you're given some oxygen to breathe for about 20 seconds, and then they say it's bedtime, youre out in about 3-5 seconds.

Later on you'll wake up after the operation, someone from the operating room will usually come and check up on you and let you know everything went OK. Waking up, my throat felt numb and everything was out of focus, that was probably the effect of tube put down during your throat (you're asleep while the tube is down there) to help you breathe and the anesthetic repsectively. I was given a freezie here to help moisten my throat as it's quite dry when I wake up.

A couple of nurses come and put a tensor wrap on you once you've woken up and you're taken to another waiting area where other recovering patients are. Then whoever was waiting for you is allowed to come in.

You have to say in this room for a while, the nurses check your heart beat, temperature and blood pressure a few times to verify that you aren't having any adverse reactions to the anesthetic and you're given something to drink. Generally they let you go home from here after you aren't feeling as nauseus. Generally a good way to show them that you're all ready to go home is ask to go to the bathroom, if you can walk fine, they'll start prepping you to go home.
You finally get the IV removed and you get to change into your clothes again and you're on your way home!    

This day I didn't feel much pain at all if I didn't try to exert myself ( getting up, sitting down, climbing into/out of bed ). I had some minor bleeding just below my arm pits, probably just the excess fluid draining out.

Next day
There's more pain today, I can't notice any swelling, but I feel some burning where my nipples are, assuming it's just from the incisions made there. I took a few T3's and I'm staying relatively still so I'm fine today.

It seems like all of the bleeding's stopped since yesterday night.

Offline Raven

• Silver Member
Congratulations ASRel...!!!  :)
It's only going to get better from here...
Thanks for posting up your experience, theres nothing more I like to read, while I am still waiting for my big day.. still 5 weeks away for me..

Keep us posted on your results and progress!!
And take it easy.  ;)

Offline ASRel

• Posting Member
Just an update...

Today ( second day ). I've noticed my metabolism in terms of bowel movements has really slown down. I went for the first time since the surgery today, which is odd for me since I usually have to go very often.

Constipation.... well let's just say I'm a little closer to understanding the pain that women have from giving birth, lol.

Offline ASRel

• Posting Member
Just an update.

I've noticed a bit of swelling, but nothing that big lately. Just the usual pain right now, I haven't taken T3's for about 20 hours, gonna see if I can do without them...

I must say though, this bandage is getting VERY itchy... I can't wait until Tuesday

Offline ASRel

• Posting Member
I've gotten the badages off now. It was a huge relief to go and take a nice long shower, those things were really itchy!

Everything's healing great, and but I just noticed that now this sort of draws focus on my belly, I'll need to start hitting the gym hardcore this fall :)

I'm going to head to the mall tomorrow wearing something that I wouldn't be caught dead wearing, I'm hoping to pick up a compression vest to wear instead of this tensor.

Offline BringExtraDragons

• Bronze Member
  • Sometimes you get so alone it just makes sense.

Hey buddy, sounds like things are going wonderful, cheers to that mate. If you don't mind how much money did you have to slap over to gool ol' fielding for your freedom?

Offline ASRel

• Posting Member
Update:

It's been over two weeks since the op, and the pain has gone down a bit. However, I think the pain this week is slighly higher than last week, the numbness is gone and the nerves are firing again.

I've started noticing some lumpiness, but Fielding said that's pretty normal.

Dragons:
I paid 1200 for the surgery, if you're thinking of getting it done, then I'd suggest seeing him ASAP, it seems like he's about to raise his fees

Offline brownman

• Gold Member
asrael can i get an update?

Whats the pain like now ?
Can you detail the two weeks after post up ?

Could u work out/play ball or go clubbing?

When could u start doing training or jogging do u think after the surjury ?

Could u do all ur normal stuff after the surjury? If not when could u start/do the normal stuff ? Drive eat shower etC?

oh and

congrats

im in there nov 23!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024