Author Topic: returning to gym/exercises?  (Read 3442 times)

Offline tyos55

I am 2 weeks post op and only had the tissue cut from behind my nipple, there was no liposuction or incision made anywhere else other than my areola area. My still have the loop and knot from my disovable stitches showing on my nipple but as for the incision itself is already closed and healed. I have no bruising anymore and am only slightly tender. My question is since I didn't get the full surgery (lipo) am I good to get back in the gym or do I still need to wait the 4-6 weeks? I've already been walking on the treadmill and doing light leg workouts on machines the past 3 days and I feel fine. Obviously I won't jump right into doing chest workouts but as far as arms, back,  shoulders and legs do you guys think I'm good to go?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
This is a question that is best posed to your surgeon.  He knows the actual extent of your operation and is the best person to render an opinion about return to exercise.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline royalflushness

• Posting Member
Hey, Im assuming you go to the gym pretty often if you are so keen on getting back into it. I workout 6 days a week, and I am getting my surgery in a month. Im just curious as to how you feel not working out for such a long period of time and if you lost allot of strength and overall confidence.

Frankie

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There are a lot of guys who enjoy working out, including myself.  You have to understand the reasons why surgeon's do not recommend working out after surgery -- it is not simply to be arbitrary.

Fact:  any exercise will increase your blood pressure.  That can increase swelling when you are trying to decrease swelling.  Second, increased blood pressure can open up a blood vessel under the skin which was sealed during surgery.  The result could be a late hematoma -- even a few weeks after surgery.  I have seen that in a few of my patients.

That is why most surgeons recommend avoiding strenuous physical exercise for at least a few weeks after surgery -- I recommend one month.

And after one month away from the gym, you will certainly lose some of your strength and stamina.  However, once you return to the gym, you will certainly catch up within a few weeks.  This is small enough price to pay for a good result after surgery.

Dr Jacobs

Offline rfrockets

• Posting Member
It is hard to argue with a doctor who is on here to help us. 

I workout religiously and have had a very hard time staying away from the gym.  By week 2 I was doing light leg workouts and cardio.  I still do mostly cardio.  But at the beginning of week 3 I added an arms workout.  After reading the comments from the doctor I will probably go back to only cardio for 2 more weeks.  It is going to be very difficult, but like he said it is a small price to pay for the best results. 

I did speak to my surgeon who said that I could be back in the gym working out.  But I based on all the research and other doctors opinions, I think I will wait until week 4 to add weights.  Not working out is harder than the actual surgery.

Hope this helps.

Offline royalflushness

• Posting Member
Yes it helps. I am thankful for all of the doctor's inputs on this site. My doctor specified 2 weeks until card, then on week 3 I can do any weights. But after reading the complications that can arise, that does seem too soon. How is your mind and confidence not working out? and do you feel comfortable wearing a t-shirt yet?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
To discuss further:  I fully understand the desire to get back to the gym as soon as possible after surgery. 

As stated previously, exercise can sometimes precipitate late complications or at the least, promote swelling which would slow down the healing.  If you think about it, what is a delay of one or two more weeks in returning to the gym if it can reassure you that there would be no complications or delays that you yourself may have caused.

Once you return to the gym, you will catch up to your pre-surgical physical conditioning fairly quickly.

Food for thought.

Dr Jacobs

Offline jinr0h

• Bronze Member
Hey, Im assuming you go to the gym pretty often if you are so keen on getting back into it. I workout 6 days a week, and I am getting my surgery in a month. Im just curious as to how you feel not working out for such a long period of time and if you lost allot of strength and overall confidence.

Frankie
I had surgery in october, and prior to that i was lifting about every day, and now i havent done anything since surgery lol.
I do want to get back at it but lets say it is very difficult for me to get the work done after 6 weeks of nothing

Offline Bobby - LAgyne

• Gold Member
In my case, I did absolutely no strenuous workout for 7 weeks, that included walking on the treadmill!  When I went back to gym, I hated myself. I had to be super careful and even then, I was sooo out of shape. All it took was about 2 weeks to be able to enjoy my work out.  I, too, hightly recommend to take your time and let the body heal before hitting the gym!  You really don't want to regret it later.

---Bobby

Offline karly

• Posting Member
hi. can i ask opinion. if this one is gyne or fat only. former obese

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Anyone who was formerly obese has, by definition, both fat and breast tissue.  That is why you still have breasts even after you lost the weight.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024