Author Topic: My Surgery Experience (11/29) Dr. Leigh  (Read 3636 times)

Offline gynomore

• Posting Member
I had my surgery today (11/29/05) with Dr. Leigh in Edina, MN.  Day went very well except for one hitch.

I got to the office on a snowy day today around 10 am with surgery scheduled for 11 am.  I was on an empty stomach and armed with my checkbook to pay for the procedure.  I check in with the receptionist, and she tells me, "we have no record of an appointment for you today."

YIKES!!!

I wait for the scheduling coordinator to get off the phone and I talk to her.  She tells me that my appointment had been canceled!  The office requires payment 2 weeks in advance, and I was paying today.  Needless to say, I was stunned and furious.  

I had talked to her two weeks ago and offered to pay Amex, and she said they didnt take that card.  I then told her I would work on figuring something else out in the meantime.  No threat of cancellation was ever made.  She called a couple days later and asked if I could move my op time up an hour to 11, and I said that was fine.  No mention of payment or cancellation was made.  I figured that if they were going to think about cancelling me, they would at least give me a call to let me know!  This is not a hair appointment or an oil change, this is expensive surgery.  I had taken the whole week off work, arranged rides, and made plans for weeks for this, and she had cancelled me without even bothering to let me know.  I can only wonder how many before me went through this.

We go around for about 5-10 minutes, I was expresssing my disgust, and finally I say that I can pay cash right now and its no biggie, I just want it done now.  She finally turns nice on me and goes and switches around the schedules so that I can get things done.  

I wind up in the surgery center around 11, get dressed in the gowns and such, and the anesthetist comes in and hooks me up to some IV.  I hate needles, but there wasn't hardly any pain.

The doc comes in around 11:30, and confirms my goals for the op, draws on me, and then I wait about 15 minutes.  The nurse comes to the door, tells me to come with her, and we walk to the OR.  I get on the table, they put the coolest warm blanket thingy on me, and I am joking with the nurses and anesthetist.

Next thing I knew, I was in the recovery room, it was 1:30, and my ride was there, and I was all bandaged up.  I was groggy, but there was nothing overwhelming, and very little pain.  The surgeon came and told me that everything went well, and gave me a debrief on what to do the next few days.  The nurse explained how my drains worked and set a follow up for Friday.  I then put on my clothes and was wheeled out to the car.  While getting dressed, I felt nauseous and almost puked, but the nurse gave me a shot of something that erased my urge to puke.

I was able to walk into the pharmacy and fill my scripts for Vicodin and some sort of antibiotic.  We then drove home, I  stopped at Subway and went in to order a sandwich.  Suprisingly, I had a very strong appetite this shortly after the surgery, and ate a footlong very easily.  I took my Vicodin with the food, and then laid down in my bed around 2:30 at home and slept 5 hours.

When I awoke, I was hungry, so I went to Pizza Hut and grabbed something to munch on, had another Vicodin, and rented a couple video games.  Driving and walking are no biggie, just 8 hours post-op.

Biggest surprises of the day had to be the almost complete lack of pain (and of course the near disaster with cancellation).  Otherwise I eagerly await being able to see some results on Friday.  I will keep updating my journal daily to let you know how things progress.  I am excited to post some pics too!

My Before Photos:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fmlackback/detail?.dir=5112&.dnm=93bescd.jpg

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fmlackback/detail?.dir=/5112&.dnm=59bescd.jpg&.src=ph

I am 24, 6'4" 200, gyne since early puberty.  No known cause.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 05:05:51 PM by gynomore »

Offline gynomore

• Posting Member
Wish I had something more to report.  Its now been two full days post-op.  With this type of thing, no news is good news, right?

Pain is pretty minimal, I am doing many of the things I would normally do, albeit with this big bandage and drains holding me back some.  Continuing to make sure I use my chest muscles as minimally as possible.

Should have something to report tomorrow, as I have my first post-op visit with the doc then.  Still haven't peeked under the bandages yet.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 09:13:37 AM by gynomore »

Offline gynomore

• Posting Member
Wow, the good stuff keeps on coming!  I went in today to have my bandages taken off three days after my op.  He laid me down on the table, cut away the bandages, and it felt good to breathe!

Then, Dr Leigh removed the drains.  This was the most painful part of this entire process.  When the left one came out, I really had to grit my teeth.  Still, it didn't hurt more or longer than getting a paper cut.  They bled a bit and he put square bandages on the nipples.  He did this all as I laid on my back.  No peeking yet.  I then sat up, looked down, and I saw nothing but flatness!  My chest had some hair regrowth (I shave my chest usually) and some ink left over from his markings, but no bruising at all!  I still have not seen the nipple area, but it looks outstanding from what I can see at this point.

He told me to take it easy this weekend and wait till tomorrow to shower.  To my surprise, no bandages except the two little ones over the nipples.  I go in Monday to have stitches removed.  I can see the other side finally, and I like it!

Offline gynomore

• Posting Member
OK, time for the afters!!!!  Otherwise, not much to report.  Just took my first shower since Monday.

This is four days post op.  Good flatness, a tiny bit of asymmetry that still may be due to stitches.  One nipple is sticking up and the other is inverted!  I think this is probably due to them being only a half inch from stitches.

I am pleased so far, especially only being 4 days out.  What do you all think?

Before Front

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fmlackback/detail?.dir=5112&.dnm=93bescd.jpg

Before Side

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fmlackback/detail?.dir=5112&.dnm=59bescd.jpg&.src=ph

Front (4 Days)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fmlackback/detail?.dir=/5d30&.dnm=2ff2re2.jpg

Side (4 Days)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fmlackback/detail?.dir=/5d30&.dnm=a053re2.jpg&.src=ph
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 09:55:25 AM by gynomore »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024