Author Topic: [UK]Age:17 | 1 Week Post-OP Start  (Read 4197 times)

Offline barton

• Posting Member
Hi there,  

I'll try and keep my details related to the cause, rather then specifying un-needed details like times, car rides etc

I'm 17. Male and had my surgery performed in the UK under NHS. I had a pretty bad case of gynecomastia and had to wait approx a YEAR from the initial doctor appointment to actual surgery.  

I remember the first signs of gyne at the age of 13-14.  

On the day of the op, I was taken in, changed and I had the surgeon mark out the excision. I was put under general anesthesia. As soon as I awoke I felt  soft thudding around my chest. The rest of my body was fine. I was in and out of sleep and for the rest of that day (surgery lasted 1hour 45mins) I was basically asleep and that was the only time I took painkillers.  

I stayed in hospital for 2 nights (including day of op). On the 2nd day I could barely manage to get myself up and moving. My abs were in pain, as if I had done 1000 ab crunches. The same for my legs, when I laid up I got slight pains in my chest and my legs usually started to shake - exactly as if I’d squatted to failure.  

I really hated going to the toilet to urinate, but it had to be done. Not to mention I was in a blue translucent garment with only white panties - so others could see what my body looked like as I walked, yeah, kind of embarrassing, but the fact that you don't know these people and you'll never meet again is reassuring (as always with any embarrassment). Over the stay as hospital, I urinated twice and never had to excrete, even though I tried.  

The food was TERRIBLE. I made a stupid mistake and asked my mother not to bring homemade food since I didn't want to burden here with this, I thought I'd receive yummy cakes and nutritional tasty food (from experiences early on in life with hospital stays) but I realized shortly after that you get the good food when your in the 16 and under children’s ward  

SO anyway,  the rest of the 2nd day was spent in bed watching TV.  

The next day (when i got home, the 3rd day), and the days after that - until now - I have experienced no pain whatsoever in the chest area and have therefore not needed any pain killers.

The only painful bit was immediately after the op and possibly the d**n uncomfortable thingy they put in your hand to insert the general anesthesia.  

I only have MILD bruising near the side of the pictorial muscle where they created a small hole approx 5 millimeters in diameter to insert a thin tube which drained out the blood post-op.  
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 02:51:20 AM by barton »

Offline barton

• Posting Member
Well, today - I feel fine.

Still no pain from the pectoral muscles or that region. Apart from spontaneous shots of sharp pain ( ;P ) which occur now and then - it has only happened when I’m resting on the PC or sitting in a chair. Its not wise to stay up (body horizontally) due to the effects of gravity and it obviously pulling your chest down. Its best to lay down as much as possible for a week after the op. Especially if you have a lot of fluid building in the area.

Today I’ve had the courage to actually poke and around and massage the chest area. I can feel a large HARD bump just under the areola on both sides - its about half the size of the index finger (both sides) although the bump on the left is further into the side of the body.

The only thing that worries me is the sensitivity of the areola  and the area surrounding it. When I touch that area I can actually feel what skin feels like without the feeling of touching myself (if you get what I mean ;P - basically feels like I'm touching some else’s chest). And while I do this, I get a sharp, although not painful, tingly feeling.

Anyway, time to rest and 2 weeks to go before I can hit the gym and build up my physique.

Offline barton

• Posting Member
1st post has been edited to include details.

Today, I'm fine as usual. Just taken a shower and was looking forward to seeing the white plaster strips coming off (I was informed by the nurse they would come off automatically when taking a shower/bath) but they didn't. I can make out where the scares are, I am a little worried since the left side of my chest almost looks the same as it was before the op without the areola being puffy, I'm hoping its just swelling so I’ll give it a few more weeks before I start to enquire about it.

Car journeys are EXTREMLY uncomfortable and unwise especially just after op. If your not wearing a compression vest - which I wasn't post-op (they couldn't find me a tubular bandage that would fit, so I told them I already have a compression vest at home, since I used it temporarily to minimize the appearance of gyne - and they simply said put that on once you get home) every tiny bump the car rides over you feel, and it is painful.

Also, I've been told the stitches used will automatically dissolve over time so I don't need to worry about them being taken out manually and painfully.

Pics comming soon!

Offline ruggedtoast

• Silver Member
Good stuff, as a pending nhs'er I am hoping you get good results.

Offline barton

• Posting Member
Well, time for another update.

the results are almost PERFECT.

To this day (28/01/2006) there is absolutely NO bruising and the scares which are just around the underside of the areola are extremely faint. My nipples also look as they should do ie. not in anyway puffy as they were before, nor are they distorted.

I realise descriptions mean nothing compared to pictures, they will be up within the next couple of days!

Also, to achieve the greatest results after this op, I suggest people start to __EXERCISE__.

People who have this sort of op are usually a little chubby, so building some muscle and losing the excess fat will do wonders for your chest - and make sure to include a high protein diet after ANY operation.

Offline antsg2002

• Posting Member
Hey Great diary - makes me smile as it brings back the memories, i have had three ops over the space of a year and im 16 - its a horrible for anyone - you are lukcy to get in the NHS, i fought and fought and ended up going private and having to pay as Insurance company wouldnt pay out.

Totally agree with the exercising bit,

Take care and hope it all goes well

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024