Author Topic: For the Teens  (Read 4514 times)

jdh2511

Gyne Puberty will go away on its own.

I've had it for 2 years, I was a slow developer, and then one day they lost denisty, and are slowly getting smaller.

Some days Im happy because I think they are going away, other days Im sad because they aren't going away fast enough.

Post comments

Offline c3ntralp3rk

• Silver Member
  • there is hope.
how old are you? i got mine when i was 12.. i am 19 now, and they haven't gone away.. they improved a bit when i started working out at age 17, but they never went away..

true, pubertal gynecomastia does go away for most cases.. but i would assume that almost all of the teens on this forum have had it for a significant period of time, and it hasn't gone away.

congrats on your gyne going away though. :)

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
Thats funny because I've read in most articles that Gyne spontaniously goes away. Not just this day by day disappearance. However, they are just articles and may not be 100 % accurate.  Are you sure you're not just seeing things?

P.S. - Give us some info on yourself.

P.S.S. - Sorry for the pessimism.
Had gynecomastia since age 12.
Surgery performed on July 18, 2008 by
Dr. Jeffrey Wagner in Indianapolis, IN.
(Excision and Liposuction)

"The heart moves on while the mind remembers."

jdh2511

spontaneous does not mean overnight, it means it goes away for no real reason, ie the same reason you grow.

They are definatley getting smaller, what info do you want? I got gyne before I had a growth spurt, and I am still growing too.

Offline doddy

• 06/04/2005.
To say pubertal gyne will go away is wrong. Pubertal gyne will go away in the majority of cases, however.
etc.

Offline ItsOK

• Bronze Member
  • Glorp.
It's threads like this that make me wonder why any ethical doctor would subject a 12 year old to surgery.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/cgi-bin/gyne_yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=2;action=display;num=1122404028

Offline a-man

• Silver Member
  • Gyne free!
it is a common belief here that "most" cases of pubertal gyne just "go away" on their own...

however i have yet to see any real medical evidence or statistics supporting this supposed fact.... and to be honest, most children I have seen with larger breasts keep them into adulthood..

i imagine this stat is just something made up by doctors so they dont have to deal with the issue immediately...

Offline the weemans mom

• Posting Member
In response to ItsOK:

Since you posted a link to my thread regarding my son, I thought I would respond to this.

First and foremost, you do not know my son's complete medical history.

My son has dealt with gyne since before hitting puberty.  This past school year in particular (he entered middle school) was particularly difficult for him and more so when he had PE everyday.  The latter half of school he didn't have PE, so he wasn't complaining as often.  However, he still complained about it.

During his regular physical exam in March, I mentioned it to his pediatrician, one he had not seen before at a military facility.  The pediatircian thoroughly examined my son.   After the exam, I was called back into the room where my son was and we discussed his health, at which time, he gave my son a good bill of health. The doctor also said my son had gyne.  The doctor then wanted to know if I wanted a referral to a PS.  At that time, I asked my son if that he something he wanted to do and he said yes.

Between the pediatric appointment and the PS appointment (about 4 weeks) my son lost about 6 pounds.  He was not considered overweight at his pediatric appointment, in fact the doctor told him that if he stayed at his current weight for a year, he would be right where he needs to be.  From the PS appointment untiil he had surgery yesterday, he has grown a couple inches and is now taller than I am.

We were then referred to a civilian PS.  Once again, the PS thoroughly examined my son and determined that yes, he in fact had gyne.  And suggested surgery.  This wasn't something that was pushed on my son.  I again left the decision up to my son.  He said he wanted surgery.

For the next few months, we waited for authorization from our military insurance (through my husband's retirement from the Army).  We got the go ahead after many phone calls between the PS's office and the insurance company.  

I also told my son that if the insurance did not approve of the surgery, that I would see to it that he was taken care of.  

After having surgery yesterday (you can read that thread under Surgery), my son is just  happy that it is done.  He tolerated surgery well and is excited to remove the ACE wrap tomorrow and shower.  One of his first comments at the hospital in the recovery room was, "I won't have to wear sweatshirts anymore".  

And to stress once more, I want to raise a happy, well adjusted son, who feels good about himself.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 06:02:15 AM by lgsmom »

Offline a-man

• Silver Member
  • Gyne free!
weemans mom:

ItsOK is just one of a groupe of people who post here opposing surgery for no good reason. They are just a group of old farts (like 60+) who because of their age don't care much about their appearance (old, married, no one to impress, etc). This particular guy walks around wearing a bra and I really wouldn't take his criticism seriously.

I think you have made a well and informed decision. Even in the chance that your son's gyne would have gone away naturally, you have still spared him years of torment, at absolutely no cost to your monetarily, or at any cost to your sons health. Congratulations to you and your son. I'm sure he will enjoy his new life.

Offline c3ntralp3rk

• Silver Member
  • there is hope.
to weeman's mom. although there may be some cynisism going around regarding an operation being conducted on a 12 year old, i cannot express how much support i have for this decision taken on by you and your son :)  

i wish i had told my mom when i was 12, atleast that would have saved me all these years of humility. i'm getting my surgery done in the next 2-3 months. can't wait.

once again, congratulations to your son. God bless.

jdh2511

Well, my buddy had it when he was younger, at 12 and it went away in a few years. I had it later since I grew much later, and it is slowly going away, and I can attest to that.

The statistic of 90%, though huge, seems accurate since many people hide theirs well. I've had this for 2 years, have went to mexico twice, and take PE and nobody has noticed or commented on anything, I've become a master of deception, but hopefully I wont need to in a month or when the situation resolves itself.

Offline ItsOK

• Bronze Member
  • Glorp.
To the mom . . . I will simply say that I believe you to be wrong.

I do not understand how an individual could have a problem with breast development before breasts develop, thus it is difficult for me to comprehend how a child could be diagnosed with gyne before puberty.

As for him making the decision, that is simply not possible, either legally or in reality.  You are making the decision.  Your son may love you for it later or hate you for it, but it is your responsibility, not his.

As for those of you who believe that I am opposing surgery "for no reason", please look at the facts here.  The person having the surgery is 12 years old.  That, in itself, is reason enough.  I know that nothing I say will help this child, but I cannot stand by and be silent when my words might help some other child.  There are circumstances when surgery is the right answer; this is not one of them.

Mom, you make a good case, assuming that all doctors are professional and always right.  I am not willing to make that assumption.  Your decision to lock the boy's dad out of this life-changing decision for HIS child also raises a huge red flag for me.

To those of you who trivialize my opinions, that is your right.  But it is my right to express how I feel, and I have done so.  I will say no more on this topic.

jdh2511

Well, I can look at that two ways.

1) It will save his life from gyne and the problems associated with it. Having it has hurt my back, since I kind of am in the habbit of slouching.

2) The kid is only 12, and the situation probabaly would resolve itself on its own.

Look at me, I have had it for 2 years, and I used to wear 4 layers with a t-shirt. I always had a mild case, but it prevented me from having fun, although I still did sports and all.

And Now, the light is at the end of the tunnel. I can go out wearing 2 t-shirts and look fine. I scrutinize it everyday, so to me it looks like it is going away slow, but in reality I'll probabaly be free within a few months.

Knock on wood

jdh2511

So far so good.

My left side is a lot smaller then my right, so they are pretty uneven, this may be a sign if they are going away? Idk

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024