Author Topic: A History Lesson Re: Gynecomastia  (Read 8046 times)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
"If all the medical and scientific knowlege accumulated in the world up to 1900 is considered as a starting point.  It was doubled by 1950.  It doubled again by 1960. Currently, information is out of date often before it is possible to have it published."

Geeze, just think ( as jc71 mentioned ) where we might be 50+ years from now! It shall be interesting!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 06:10:21 PM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Bambu,

50 years? I wonder what next week will bring!

When I first started to drive, an automobile engine often required a major overhaul by the time it had gone 75,000 miles.  Now they go 100,000 before their first tune up.  All fields of Science and Technology are bounding ahead at an awesome rate.

I checked out your photos, the before pix look similar to me.  But I'm old enough that I really do not care.  I'd bet your condition improves even more over time, presuming your skin is still elastic enough to shrink a bit and that you probably still have some residual post-op swelling.  

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 02:16:40 AM by Paa_Paw »
Grandpa Dan

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Bambu,

50 years? I wonder what next week will bring!

When I first started to drive, an automobile engine often required a major overhaul by the time it had gone 75,000 miles.  Now they go 100,000 before their first tune up.  All fields of Science and Technology are bounding ahead at an awesome rate.

'Next week'....hehe, yeah you're right there Dan.

A major overhaul at 75,000 miles. Geeze, did not know that! Very interesting. Yes, we are very lucky to live in such an advanced technological age.

I checked out your photos, the before pix look similar to me.  But I'm old enough that I really do not care.  I'd bet your condition improves even more over time, presuming your skin is still elastic enough to shrink a bit and that you probably still have some residual post-op swelling.  

Good luck!

Glad to hear that you are coping with your Gyne. We get many different attitudes about Gyne on these boards. It ranges from 'all out paranoia' to 'I am not too concerned about it'. I fell somewhere in the middle. Personally, I was okay with it. All the cruel teasing/laughing really bothered me though. Yes Sir, right up to the bitter end... a few days prior to my surgery, a guy from work grabbed one of my moobs and said "Look at the boobs on this guy".  :-/ :-/ :-/

Yes, I'm sure all will work out in the end. Just have to be patient that's all.

BTW, I enjoy reading your posts. Your years of life experiece brings great perspective to the discussions.
;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 05:44:11 AM by Bambu »

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The guy that took notice of and grabbed your breasts is a real idiot and A--hole.

Which makes you much more fortunate than he.

You could get surgery to remove/reduce your breasts. While he will, alas, remain an idiot and A--hole.

I hope your recovery is going well.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

You could get surgery to remove/reduce your breasts. While he will, alas, remain an idiot and A--hole.

I hope your recovery is going well.

Yes, you are right there Dan...  :)

Yes, recovery is going well Thanks. The follow-up exam is today at 2:50pm. Will let you know what JCF has to say.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 06:20:40 AM by Bambu »

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I;ll look foreward to your progress report.

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Dan.  I understand you've accepted your physical lot in life and choose to live with your breasts, but do you ever, even for a moment, consider having them removed?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
jc71,

That is a valid question.

I can't honestly say what I might have done if the surgery had been available in the mid to late 1950's.

By the time liposuction made its way to North America in the late 1980's I was pretty well adapted and never even gave surgery a thought.

Genetics is such that if someone in my family had their breasts removed, He'd be the only one in the family without breasts.

I live in Southern California; I was looking at a 26 ft Mac
Gregor sailboat.  It is used but in good shape.  It can sleep 6, Small enough for a lake, big enough for Ocean.  The cost is about the same as the cost of surgery.  If I had the money to spare, I'd get the boat.

To my thinking, for me.... I'd consider surgery a waste of money.  Everyone else is free to make treir own choices and set their own priorities.

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
that sounds like fun. used may be affordable.  

i know a new macgregor 26M will run you about $18,000.

Don't know where you're at in so-cal but beverly hills ps's probably don't charge 18 grand for gyne surgery.  ;D

point taken.  that's interesting how if someone in your family had there's removed they'd be the only one with out breasts. sounds like the gyne gene is a strong family trait.  it is for me and my dad too.

Offline Boobit

• Posting Member
I really enjoy reading and respect  what you, Paa Paw have to say. I envy you your more phylosophical approach to this problem. The problem is, as I see it, is that we allow what others think of us to dictate our lives. I think in the coming generations things will probobly get worse. There's so much pollution everywhere that upsets the balance of our bodies - hormones in meat, milk, food etc. Even male fish in rivers are changing sex due to estrogen and other chemicals the mimic it polluting the ground and environment. Because of this I would think that when you were a boy this condition was considerably rarer. Couple that with the 'body beautiful ' obssessed media that we have these days, it all helps to create alot of insecurity, for what is, or should be just a vehicle for our minds/souls or whatever you believe in.
Boobit

Offline Ste

• Posting Member
Interesting post, thanks for giving your perspective.

If your family members with gyne are happy living with it then that's cool. I have to ask, and with all due respect, are you absolutely sure that this is the case? Sometimes family members are scared to upset a respected patriarch.

Also, I'm a yachtsman & boat owner and compete offshore. I would be glad to offer any advice should you need it (not saying you do :)) on the subject of yachts. I'm competing in a Trans-Atlantic soon so I will be your side of the pond for a few days this summer.

Maccy 26's are a bit of a hybrid boat, they're very tippy and only really begin to "sail" on a reach and, in my experience, need to be on a broad reach to really get going. Never criticise a man's boat is my motto and these boats have many users but I wouldn't like to be caught out in one and therefore wouldn't take one out of coastal waters. Though I have heard of one crossing the Bay of Biscay, I believe they are much more suited to inland waters such as lakes and protected coastal waters. This is a very touchy subject and I apologise if you consider this out of order but many people are mis-sold yachts and the “dream” soon becomes a nightmare.

Take care Paa_paw – sorry if I’ve come across as a wet flannel.

All the best.

Ste

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024