Author Topic: Anyone here had gyno surgery with areola reduction?  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Stevew87

• Bronze Member
I'm thinking of getting both done at the same time. The surgery practice i spoke to said it will only cost me an extra £500 (on its own its £1500). The only thing I'm worried about is... (i mean its hard to tell because ny nipples are puffy)... but i'd hate to have the nice smallish areolas then have large nipples (which would look odd). I'd love a doctors input on this but anyone who has a rough idea commenting would be great. I know areolas can reduce after surgery but surgeons i don't think ever know exactly by how much. I'd hate to have the gyno removed and still hate my chest because i have large feminine areolas even though it would look better...

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The areolas will usually diminish spontaneously by about 15-20% after gyne surgery.  that is usually sufficient for most guys.  Would therefore go for the regular gyne surgery, wait six months and then re-evaluate.

I very rarely resort to a subsequent areolar reduction -- the scars (totally around the edge of the areola) plus the possibility of spread scars make the procedure less than desirable.  

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Stevew87

• Bronze Member
Thanks Dr Jacobs!
Would a areola reduction one year after a gyno operation be desirable? I'm assuming the scars would have healed up mostly and it may not run the risk of the spreading of scars?
Some surgeons I've visited said they could do it via entering through the chest and not the nipple area so that may make it even easier to do a year later. I'd hope that my chest would look normal enough afterwards.
The average areola in men is 2.7cm apparently. Mine seems to be around 3.5cm. According to your 15-20% statistic, mine would therefore be 2.9-2.8cm post OP which should hopefully mean my chest will look nice and normal looking.

Offline Geoff88

• Posting Member
I think you'd find it would be better/more desirable not to specifically get reduction, especially in your case.  If they are reduced too much it might look weird!

Mine reduced substantially, they were much larger than yours and look normal, it would have been more than 20%.  Maybe others will give their experience, but the advise above is putting it politely - you are probably best to not specifically do a reduction.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024