Author Topic: Numbness after surgery  (Read 2866 times)

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Hi everyone.  I have read that after surgery, it is common for the area that had been liposuctioned and excised of breast tissue to feel somewhat numb for a time.  Have any of you experienced this?  If so, how long did it last?  I'm curious to know if it is a permanent thing, or temporary while the body heals itself.  I have a consult scheduled with Dr.Lista on the 18th of this month, and I am preparing a list of questions for him so I don't waste too much of his time trying to think of everything.  Either way, it is likely best to get the info first hand from people who have actually experienced this themselves.  Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
Shakenbake baby, SHAKE N BAKE!!  Ya, that just happened.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Numbness of the skin and the nipples is expected 100% of the time after gyne surgery.  The skin feels numb just like your lip feels numb after a dental injection.

There is gradual return of sensation over several months -- very variable but almost always returns to normal or near normal.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Hi Dr.Jacobs, thank you for replying!  I wasn't sure what the likelyhood of numbness was, but at 100%, guess it doesn't leave any doubt that I will indeed experience this!  It is assuring to know that the sensation will eventually come back to normal (or near normal).  I suppose it shouldn't be too much of a shock that this happens since the liposuction cannula basically plows through everything in its path during the procedure.  I'm sure it does some temporary damage to nerve endings in the process. I'm so glad that doctors like yourself frequently post replies to questions like these on this site.  It sure does help put many of us at ease knowing we can speak to and get advice from top professionals in this field.  I really appreciate your help, thank you very much!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are most welcome -- hope it put your mind at ease.

Good luck with your surgery.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024