Author Topic: Drains  (Read 2836 times)

Offline nogojoe

• Bronze Member
Hi Doctors,

First, thank you for supporting the members here and aswering our questions.

I just had my surgery (liposuction and subcutaneous mastectomy) and have drains under each armpit. My left check is considerably more swollen than the right, which is not really concerning me; the contents of the drain bulbs are.

The nurse emptied both drain bulbs around 4. IIRC, when they were emptied at the hospital, they were filled with a pale-white/red color (blood and fluid). But I was still hazy from the anesthesia so I might not be remembering correctly.

Now, the right bulb only has a few mL now but the left one had about 30 mL. I emptied it but it seems to be filled mostly with blood. It's a deep red color, so I'm assuming it's mostly blood. Is this normal? Do the bulbs after the first draining usually collect blood as opposed to other fluids?

Thanks again!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It sounds like you may have some bleeding on the left side.  You should contact your surgeon to have it evaluated.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline nogojoe

• Bronze Member
Thanks, Dr. Silverman, I'll call him tomorrow.

The volume seems to have slowed and is now at pace with the right side but it's still more red than the right side is, which remains a milky-red.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I typically do not utilize drains ,I prefer compression. Drains tend to drain asymmetrically and often do not prevent hematoma or seroma . There are two issues with drains the amount of fluid over time and the character of the fluid. Drainage is most importantly related to what the surgeon does during surgery. A good rule of thumb is a small deviation no big deal,anything your not sure about call. 30 ccs is not huge but always better to be safe than sorry.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline nogojoe

• Bronze Member
Thank you, Dr. Pensler.

I did called my surgeon's office and his assistant assured me it was, as you said, an acceptable deviation. The color didn't concern her, either. She said as long as the more vibrant red liquid remains watery, it's fine. But I should notify them if it turns thicker or becomes pasty.

Offline nogojoe

• Bronze Member
Hm. Now I'm noticing the swelling has increased and the drains hardly have more than 10 CCs in them.

Is that a cause for concern or a natural part of the healing process?

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
If your swelling on that side has increased and the drain output has diminished, the drain could be blocked with clotted blood.  Typically as drain output decreases over time, the red blood starts to lighten in color to pink, then orange, then yellow, as the percentage of red blood cells in the (yellow colored) serum decreases.  If the blood in your drain has always been red, then it stopped draining and you're swelling, that's cause for concern.  You should contact your surgeon.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline nogojoe

• Bronze Member
Thanks, Dr. Pope. I will.

Right now it seems my left side is the main concern as the right side isn't swollen and has already started turning that yellowish color. The left side still has deep red in it and is more swollen.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024