Author Topic: Drains  (Read 2682 times)

Offline jones357

• Silver Member
I had a seroma that wouldn't go away, and the PS put a drain in my chest.  How long before it stops leaking?  I am a smoker, and I am trying to only have a couple per day.  How much can that effect drainage?  I don't need a big speech about smoking, I know it is a horrible thing to do. I am trying to keep it to a minimum, but I wonder if it has to be completely cut out during healing, or will a few a day not have much impact?

DrBermant

I had a seroma that wouldn't go away, and the PS put a drain in my chest.  How long before it stops leaking?  I am a smoker, and I am trying to only have a couple per day.  How much can that effect drainage?  I don't need a big speech about smoking, I know it is a horrible thing to do. I am trying to keep it to a minimum, but I wonder if it has to be completely cut out during healing, or will a few a day not have much impact?

Cigarette smoking interferes with the blood supply to tissue and can impair healing.  Bad healing can be a factor for tissue death and seroma formation.  In my opinion, elective surgery and nicotine use are not a good combination and increase complications.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline SweMale

• Posting Member

Cigarette smoking interferes with the blood supply to tissue and can impair healing.  Bad healing can be a factor for tissue death and seroma formation.  In my opinion, elective surgery and nicotine use are not a good combination and increase complications.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Cigarette smoking is bad because it interferes blood supply to tissue, but what about things post-op to help improve blood supply like taking long walks, stationary bikeing and that sort off stuff - is this good for healing? I know that doing stuff that is hard on the chest like lifting heavy weights is bad, but what about going for long (10+ km) walks and stationary bikeing? Good stuff?

Also is the use of essential amino acids (EAA) something that makes you heal better, I know they are used in burn patients ... but does supplementing with extra EAA help improve healing from gynecomastia surgery?

Offline Lowlands

• Posting Member
Cigarette smoking is bad because it interferes blood supply to tissue, but what about things post-op to help improve blood supply like taking long walks, stationary bikeing and that sort off stuff - is this good for healing? I know that doing stuff that is hard on the chest like lifting heavy weights is bad, but what about going for long (10+ km) walks and stationary bikeing? Good stuff?

Also is the use of essential amino acids (EAA) something that makes you heal better, I know they are used in burn patients ... but does supplementing with extra EAA help improve healing from gynecomastia surgery?

These are good questions.  Anyone know the anwsers?

Offline macho

• Bronze Member
swemale has really raised good questions. i also wanted the answers for those. i have been presribed amino acids too along with some multivitamin capsules. but donno why they dont prescribed me a single painkiller.
can anybody answer taking long walks after gyno surgery ok?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024