Author Topic: Consultation  (Read 5641 times)

Offline thorne

• Posting Member
Well I think I jumped the gun earlier, my mother just explained to me exactly what he meant. He was excited to do the op, he's a breast surgeon and very good a family freind has said, when I was on the table, then he said "..but before any procedure can be done you must be checked for your height and weight" so I went with a nurse, all happy as larry because he was enthusiastic, then I weighed etc and went back to the room, the nurse gave him the results of height n weight with my BMI, thats when it went down hill. He said, as he made a dissapointing look on his face, "you're BMI is 29.8.." Im 5.7 at just over 13 stone, thats when he said about funding and how they can only do surgery for lypo if Im 25 BMI and under and its a shame he cant get funding he said. Now this never hit me at the time until my mother pointed it out, the last consultant (hormonal consultant) said that the surgeon I had seen today had "performed operations for people like you for us in the past". Now put this with his excitement to do the op before he knew my BMI. He was trying to tell me, by stressing that 25 is the highest they could perform on, to get down to that or under and come back in 6 months and that the guys he's got on his books are waiting for funding because they're over weight. So im just taking it a day at a time, lose 2 stone by september, Ive done it before, and go see him private. If im wrong with all this, then I'll have to look into asking family for funds to go private!

Offline frozen

• Bronze Member
Ahh okay that makes sense :)
I'm not great when it comes to good tips for losing weight, so I'm hoping you have success with that and other people might have some tips for you. Either way good luck and let us know how you get on!  ;D
Had surgery with Dr. Karidis (London, UK) on 23rd July. Wearing tight t-shirts and looking forward to going swimming!

My experience so far & updates:
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18200.msg126755#msg126755

Pictures:
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18539.msg127741#msg127741

Offline thetodd

BMI ... outdated crappy measurement system

all you can do it have a strict diet, and try not to put on much muscle. Id get a ym membership and just do pure cardio workouts. You can easily loose the weight in that amount of time! If you really want to track your BMI then Wii Fit is perfect for that!

yeah thats good news mate, your going to get it and save 4k in the process! And youl look better once your gynes removed
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline thorne

• Posting Member
Yeah it all makes sense when I look back, he was fine and happy when I saw him and willing to go and thats when he said "now before any procedure we have to height and weigh you" thats when I went down with the nurse and had it all done. Then I came back she walked into his room and within 5 seconds he came out and made a face and mentioned my bmi straight away!!! I've lost loads of weight anyway so I can get 2 stone off by early sept, im not fat its just the fact that Im a little short lol. Anyway thanks guys, will let you know how I get on!

Offline zink

• Bronze Member
Well, its no go!!  :( I was told I DO need the operation and he would happily do it BUT he has 30 - 40 guys on his list who want the same op but the trust wont pay for the operation!!!! So I have to now wait another 6 months for him to write a letter to some guy high up the NHS ladder and ask for funding!!!! This is terrible!!! How can women have breast reductions, obese people have gastric bands on the NHS yet they think guys with large breasts dont need any help because it doesnt effect them? its pathetic!!!!

Ah well, another long wait now! Where do I go now guys? is there a way to fight this?

where in the country are you? when you get referred by your GP to a certain department, they should give you a choice for a number of places to go. Now different hospitals will be within different NHS Trusts and each Trust will have its own funding policy. Ie: you could try be referred to another hospital, who may well be able to fund your treatment.

Otherwise, I suggest being patient. You've already waited years so just think it's a little more man, it'll be worth the wait. You can either wait for a NHS slot to open to spend time saving up for private treatment, bearing in mind it probably won't be a one-off £3000 as (unless you're very lucky) there could well be follow-up treatment you need post-op.

ps - sorry missed your latest post on the next page! but yeah, i'm sure you can do it. Go running or cycling and you can drop the weight no worries :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 05:55:32 AM by zink »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024