Author Topic: tanning  (Read 4607 times)

Offline rhinopothole

• Posting Member
  • Needs help!
hello all.  well, ive been in florida for about a week now and im scared to go back to atlanta for a stupid and very vain reason.  since ive been here i have tanned the h*ll out of my skin and have noticed something for the first time in all my years dealing with gyne.  my lumps have actually gotten smaller!  now i know being on vacation and reducing my strees level might be the only reason, but i feel great about this.  i was wondering if anyone had a similar experience with tanning reducing the size and appearance of thier gyne?

p.s.  i dont want to do the tanning bed thing, thats not good at for you and it can be addictive.  i just want to know if im crazy or not?

Offline moto39

• Posting Member
Exposure to the sun can boost testostorone level, that might have some effect. Its just a thought though, but glad to see you are enjoying your time off, lol.

Offline rhinopothole

• Posting Member
  • Needs help!
thats what i figured.  lol, thanx, im havinga great time.

Offline Hypo-is-here

I think a lot of people round here post about many things that they "think" has had an effect that has no proven evidence of doing anything.

All such accounts are anecdotal and almost certainly placebo.

Exposure to the sun can boost testostorone level, that might have some effect. Its just a thought though, but glad to see you are enjoying your time off, lol.

In a word- negligible

Everything from sun tan bed cures, to what is in the drinking water to mind control and using hammers to get rid of the problem.

If any of the guys mentioning these types of things did so openly in the real world, people would almost certainly be questioning their sanity.

There seems to be a real proliferation of old wives tales, paranoia and anecdotal stuff on the boards at the moment.

I know you have posted this in good faith rhinopothole, but I felt compelled to comment on the general pervading thoughts of the site (sorry to hijack the thread for the post).

« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 01:00:41 AM by Hypo-is-here »

Offline moto39

• Posting Member
Well lucky for me I am smart enough to check on info before I post, here is a quote

"Get at least one hour of exposure to sunlight daily (especially during winter). Sunlight plays an important role in regulating testosterone release in the brain."

http://www.eternitymedicine.com/english/04_eternity_medicine_products/Testosterone_Precursors/testosterone_precursors_article_low_testosterone_print.htm

and another

"Prescribe yourself a holiday as sunlight is one of the best fertility treatments around. Research shows it boosts testosterone in men, says Dr Penny Stanway"

http://www.hindu.com/seta/2006/02/09/stories/2006020900071600.htm

and another

"Setting up an outdoor gym. Sunlight is known to boost testosterone production, and doctors say the average man needs an hour of exposure day. One of the best ways to get it: by exercising outdoors, since active men also appear to produce more testosterone."

http://www.douglascoulter.com/Personal/male_menopause.html

I hope that is enough for you to believe that sunlight does help, and Hypo before you go making accusations do some research, you just make yourself look like an idiot, and I don't appreciate people trying to make me look like one. I do agree with you that there is alot of false info on this board but research before you try to call info BS.

Offline rhinopothole

• Posting Member
  • Needs help!
Hypo, u speak of a "placebo."  well negativity is a placebo as well, and that is all u have demonstated in your reply.  if u dont have anything good to say then bugger off!  thank you moto for the links and positive attitude.  the ethos and pathos of some people blows me away.  remember the code of conduct for this blog before u blurt out any response hypo.  if u feel that we are all diluted then just feel your own enlightment and keep it to yourself.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 06:12:34 AM by rhinopothole »

Offline Hypo-is-here

Well lucky for me I am smart enough to check on info before I post, here is a quote

"Get at least one hour of exposure to sunlight daily (especially during winter). Sunlight plays an important role in regulating testosterone release in the brain."

http://www.eternitymedicine.com/english/04_eternity_medicine_products/Testosterone_Precursors/testosterone_precursors_article_low_testosterone_print.htm

and another

"Prescribe yourself a holiday as sunlight is one of the best fertility treatments around. Research shows it boosts testosterone in men, says Dr Penny Stanway"

http://www.hindu.com/seta/2006/02/09/stories/2006020900071600.htm

and another

"Setting up an outdoor gym. Sunlight is known to boost testosterone production, and doctors say the average man needs an hour of exposure day. One of the best ways to get it: by exercising outdoors, since active men also appear to produce more testosterone."

http://www.douglascoulter.com/Personal/male_menopause.html

I hope that is enough for you to believe that sunlight does help, and Hypo before you go making accusations do some research, you just make yourself look like an idiot, and I don't appreciate people trying to make me look like one. I do agree with you that there is alot of false info on this board but research before you try to call info BS.

The lack of testosterone and or dihydrotestosterone is categorically not related to sun exposure, neither is any significant excess of SHBG, estradiol, prolactin etc.  Neither is the ratio/balance of androgens to estrogens significantly affected by sun exposure.

I regularly speak with some of the top endocrinologists in the world, have hypogonadism, and speak daily with men from around the world with hormone issues.  I have seen hundreds of pathology reports, and am fully conversant with their interpretation.  I have read almost all the medical journals and articles surrounding these hormonal issues over the past 20 years including most national guidelines and have read the published works of Dr Eugene Shippen and Dr Malcolm Carruthers amongst many others.

Believe me you do not want to start discussing hormones with me; I'll just tie you up in LOTS of knots as you don't actually know what you're talking about when it comes to this issue, you're just cutting and pasting.  

Sorry but :-/

Hypo, u speak of a "placebo."  well negativity is a placebo as well, and that is all u have demonstated in your reply.  if u dont have anything good to say then bugger off!  thank you moto for the links and positive attitude.  the ethos and pathos of some people blows me away.  remember the code of conduct for this blog before u blurt out any response hypo.  if u feel that we are all diluted then just feel your own enlightment and keep it to yourself.

It would be a lot easier sometimes to not say what “you know in your own mind to be true”, when you also know that it will come across as negative and result in being shot as the messenger.  As someone who well understands the aetiology of gynecomastia I was not going to leave unchallenged comments that imply that sun exposure in any way is a causative or curative factor in this condition- as it is not.

I was not being personal, I’m sorry you think I was and sorry that you found what was a general comment offensive.  I was trying to point out a general and worrying trend on the site…perhaps that seems to have come at your expense, if it has I apologize.

I probably could have worded things a little better.

If you knew how many hundreds of hours I have spent helping people with real problems on this site I don't think you would say what you have...but that's not your fault.

Like I say the message was not aimed as a missive at you so sorry for any offense.

Best to you.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 04:03:00 PM by Hypo-is-here »

Offline rhinopothole

• Posting Member
  • Needs help!
hypo, guess what?  u r my hero!  LOL!  too bad with all that research u couldnt be a doctor.  instead u r a condescending fool who spends "20 years helping people."  i bet u feel like $10! LOL!  i have some cardboard cookies in the trunk of my car, would u like me to cut u out a few?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 06:52:04 PM by rhinopothole »

Offline Hypo-is-here

hypo, guess what?  u r my hero!  LOL!  too bad with all that research u couldnt be a doctor.  instead u r a condescending fool who spends "20 years helping people."  i bet u feel like $10! LOL!  i have some cardboard cookies in the trunk of my car, would u like me to cut u out a few?

I have learnt everything I have because I have a hormone condition one that caused me to suffer with osteoproosis just for starters, because as much as anything I was forced to for the sake of my own health....does that make me an idiot :-/

Does it make me an idiot that I have gone on to put that to use in order to help others :-/

I apologised to you for the way I worded what I did, but you can't accept that....fine.

But do you have to go on and mock?

You are mocking the fact that I have helped a lot of people on a support site, yet you are on a support site where you yourself are trying to get support :-/

It just seems so easy to insult people on these kind of foums :-/

over and out.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 01:32:44 AM by Hypo-is-here »

Offline moto39

• Posting Member
Yeah the whole mocking thing is a bit much, but Hypo yeah I would say that you needed to word you stuff a bit different cause it felt like a direct insult to me. I still think that the sun does help however, but thats only my opion that I have made after reading the stuff, but anyways we are glad you are here to help, but please respect us who are trying to help, and seem to have some legit(sp?) info. No hard feelings dude, we gyne guys need to stick together, not argue back and forth on the forums that were designed to help us.

Offline dav242

• Bronze Member
hey - i'm all for anything that'll naturally boost my t-levels (hell, i've even changed my diet, sleeping patterns to increase t), but i had one quick question- do you have to have your shirt off to benefit from the testosterone boosting effects of the sun?

i have personally avoided beaches or any place where every guy has their shirt off or where i'd feel left out if i left my shirt on, so if benefitting from sun rays requires going shirtless, it's a bit of a catch 22 for some of us

otherwise, if just getting sun anywhere on your body helps, then heading back to atlanta shouldn't be too much of a prob - it was sunny these past few weeks and will probably get even hotter these upcoming weeks (to my chagrin, since i like being covered up in clothes and coats to mask my probs)... but if no sun is your concern, don't fret - you'll still get some sun in atl!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 03:15:43 PM by dav242 »

Offline moto39

• Posting Member
I am not sure, I would imagine so, more sun better effect, but I am not a doctor, you might try to google it and see what comes up.

Offline dav242

• Bronze Member
I am not sure, I would imagine so, more sun better effect, but I am not a doctor, you might try to google it and see what comes up.

yeah, maximum exposure - that's what i'd think too, but i just can't help see past the irony - acc to this method, in order for us to improve our chests and feel better about taking our shirts off in public, we'd actually have to take our shirts off in public (and at the beach, no less!).

it's like the chicken and the egg... which comes first? feeling decent enough about our chests to take our shirts off for sun exposure? or exposing our chests to the sun to feel decent about our chests?

weird paradox - makes my head hurt.
maybe the tanning bed and privacy that affords is the best solution
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 06:14:05 PM by dav242 »

Offline mr-x

We probably shouldn`t use too much Sun Lotion when we are tanning, if what`s in this article is correct.  ???
Particulary Sun Lotion with Oxybenzone.

http://www.rense.com/general69/suntan.htm

Offline Sir_Puffs-a-lot

• Bronze Member
I'm not sure one trip to the beach would boost anybody's testoterone levels enough to make a difference, but think about it guys...salt water + sun = tight skin, and we all know what happens when the skin tightens on your chest and nips, INSTA-CURE! I found that out years ago, THE BEACH IS YOUR FRIEND. So, yeah, once your tan wears off, and the tight skin sheds, it will go back to normal. But I agree that regular sun exposure over a period of time, say years, could potentially make a difference; if you lived at the beach, you would have potential year-round protection...something to think about...  ;D - J.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 07:25:55 AM by Sir_Puffs-a-lot »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024