Author Topic: running and swelling question  (Read 2432 times)

Offline anubis22

Hey everyone,
This is my first post on the site but I have been browsing here for about a month. I'm 21 year old college student. A year ago, I knew nothing about my condition. I was unhappy and ashamed of my chest. For some reason I decided to do some research and found out about gynecomastia and it took me a year to get up the courage to get a consult and schedule a surgery. I'm a little over 2 weeks post op and very happy with my decision.

My doctor said I could start running in two weeks. I do a lot of sprinting and I wear an under armor shirt over my compression vest to help the compression while I run. It doesn't hurt when I run but it is more sore than it was before I started running again. Should I be worried or stop running and wait a few more weeks?

Also, my right side has a bit more swelling than the other. I had a little more tissue to be removed during surgery and it my right side is also my dominant side so I'm hoping that's the reason why its more swollen. Kind of a minor worry.

I'm thankful I found this site where I can talk with people who share similar experiences. I was too embarrassed to talk to my family or friends about it or even tell them I had surgery. I Thought I was alone for the longest time.

Thanks again!

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Welcome to gyne.org, anubis22.  Hope your post-op is VERY uneventful. 

Offline JamesDawson

• Bronze Member
If its sore I would suggest waiting another 2 weeks or so, your body has a lot of healing to do so just give it time and before long you won't even notice and congrats on the operation!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Every doctor has a different regimen that works for his patients -- there is no national standard of care in this regard.  However, if you feel sore or more swollen after running, then would defer it for a few weeks.

Just FYI, I usually restrict my patients from any strenuous physical activities for one month -- and then when they do return to physical exercise, I urge them to go gradually.  Not everyone heals at the same rate!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline anubis22

Appreciate the responses

I'll take it easy for a few more weeks. Coach won't be happy but healing normally is more important.

Thanks!

Offline anubis22

Hey again

The soreness finally went away so I started running again and it seemed ok. I haven't been sore or in pain.

My left side is looking good but my right side still looks swollen and bigger than my left. Tissue beneath the skin feels hard and I'm assuming its scar tissue. My right side needed more tissue to be removed and it is my dominant side. Would any of you recommend massaging 4+ weeks post-op?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024