Author Topic: Running and Diet question  (Read 4510 times)

Offline Jason21

Hey guys! Ive been here for a long time reading the forums. A few days ago i started getting motivated to change and now I am posting with some questions! :)

So I have a really bad case of G and I can say that I blame A LOT if not all of it on my weight. I am 5'7 and weight about 250. Sitting and doing nothing all day has for sure caused this haha. I wish i lived near a gym but I don't, so I am going to get a treadmill and start a diet. Now this will be my first go at a diet and running, so I am not 100% sure on the most effective way to go about running (I plan to run everyday for at least 2-3 hours a day) and dieting.

So the questions I guess I have are:
1. Should I always run on an incline and how long should I be speeding up my running for? (Like intervals I guess)
2. I clearly am NOT good with food and diets in general lol. I am wondering if someone can either give me a link or type out basic food that I should be eating. (Knowing what foods I should be buying rather than what calories or sugar I shouldn't be getting, I feel is better and easier for me) Kind of like a Shopping list :)
3. If I run for my planned 2-3 hours a day and stick to a diet, how long do you think I will need to wait to see a big change?

Sorry if anything doesn't make too much sense, I am really tired right now but I wanted to post this before I went to sleep and put it off even longer.

Also ANY other information or help or ANYTHING I will 100% take and use it. Thank you all for reading this and helping me out! Have a good day!

Offline nitrox987

• Bronze Member
I think running 2-3 hours a day is little bit ambitious. Given your current level of fitness I would recommend starting slow, like maybe 10-15 minutes a day on flat terrain.
It might sound easy but try it out and you might be surprised. Once this feels easy you can increase gradually the distance.
BTW you can save the money of the treadmill by running outside, I find it less boring.
With an healthier diet and some exercise you can expect to see results on the scale just after a week.
Good luck!

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Welcome to gyne.org, Jason.

Yeah, if you're that heavy, I think you definitely need to go at things more realistically and a bit slower.  If you make yourself too miserable, all it's going to do is make you want to quit the diet and exercise.  

For losing weight, dieting is going to make the most difference.  So that's where you should really concentrate.  Obviously, exercise can help in losing weight, but it's nowhere close to dieting.  

I would recommend starting off slowly on the exercise, otherwise, you'll not only make yourself miserable, but you'll risk injury if you take on too much, too fast.  I'd recommend walking for at least 30 minutes initially, and during that time, occasionally break into brief, but fairly intense, jogging.  Then go back to fast-paced walking and continue to alternate the walking/jogging for 30 minutes.  Then, you move up from there.  Increase it to 45 minute intervals, and gradually increase the time you're running.  

Personally, I think 2 to 3 hours of exercise for a beginner really isn't very realistic...much less every single day.  Joining a gym would give you a variety of things to do instead of just walking/running.  Everyone needs at least some weight training and it's great for increasing your metabolism.  You can also swim at the gym and that is great exercise.  And invest in some dumbbells that you can lift while you're just sitting around watching TV.  They don't have to be really heavy.  15 to 20 pounds are great for doing reps.  You'll be surprised at how every little thing you do helps.  And don't forget pushups.  

As far as the diet, I'm no expert in that, but it all comes down to counting calories, trying to burn a lot of what you take in, and watching the fat.  It's tough and it's not fun, so you have to be committed.  Don't try to deny yourself from EVER eating things you enjoy or your diet will be unsuccessful.  Nobody can eat like that the rest of their life. That's why most people who go on diets will lose weight, but ultimately wind up gaining it right back, and more.

So allow for some enjoyment now and then.  Personally, I like to diet pretty strictly on weekdays, and loosen up a little on weekends.  But everyone has their own little things that work best.  The great thing about exercising regularly is that it allows you to cheat occasionally and eat things you want without much damage.  For instance, I went to Vegas one week and ate like a pig and didn't exercise at all.  I was really disappointed in myself and felt guilty.  I was dreading getting on the scale when I got home.  But I found that it didn't matter.  I thought for sure when I got back home I would have gained some weight.  But I didn't gain a pound.

Good luck with it all.  Losing weight is the best thing you can do for yourself.  

Offline Mark102

• Silver Member
1) for intervals, I suggest 1 min sprint, 2 min walking for a beginner and change the run/walk ratio as you get better.

2) http://chris.pirillo.com/50-weight-loss-tips/
Those tips helped me starting out on weight loss.

3) I agree, 2-3 hours is a llittle too long, especially if your just starting or doing intervals. Start out small and challenge yourself as you get better

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
That's a nice site, Mark.  Thanks!

Offline Mark102

• Silver Member

Offline shiftend

• Posting Member
From my experience of quite a few years competitive running, I would google 'runners world run/walk beginners program' and go with that. Its an 8 week program that gets you into running gently. Its essential to get a good pair of running shoes. Getting them fitted in a running shop is even better if you can. This is to minimise the risk of injury. If you can I would run outside. The scenery moves and the fresh air and sunshine is great for your mind and body and lifts your spirits, and its cheaper than a treadmill!

If you really struggle with going straight into running, perhaps you might find it easier to get a bit fitter and lighter first, perhaps by cycling first and then get into running. This should also reduce your risk of injury. Cycling and running go together like peas and carrotts lols!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Offline Sam66

• Posting Member
Its a good question and answer. Running is a best workout. It is best exercise for the whole body. With running it is good to eat fruits and vegetables. These food provide energy to the body.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024