Author Topic: Cipro - cause of gyne for anyone on here?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline fguss01

• Bronze Member
Cross posting from the ask a doctor forum, question for you guys is whether or not anyone on here has got gyne solely from taking cipro....
Thanks for any replies!

Doctors,
I started with Gyne in 2012 and was operated on by Dr K in London late 2015.

The operation was a complete success and exceeded my wildest dreams as although my Gyne was still very sore at the time (and therefore active) I have had no tissue regrowth - all I get is a little soreness if I drink Beer rather than Red Wine.

So, the Gyne is all good - however I have a current flare-up of Prostatitis which was last treated with Cipro around 6 years ago  - I have been prescribed a 28 day course 2 x 500mg and although the UK PIL does not list Gyne as a potential side effect I see that it is listed on some of the other patient information leaflets on the net.

Is it possible/likely for Cipro to cause Gyne on its own - I don't take any other meds.

My Gyne was caused in the first instance I believe by Motilium which results in very high levels of male prolactin I believe.

Thanks for any help you can give, hormone panel all perfectly stable and normal range at this time.
Best regards,
Fguss01

Offline TigerPaws

I imagine anything is possible but this is the first I have ever heard of this. Plus 2 weeks is hardly enough time for anything to develop.

As for the Motilium, again anything is possible but somewhat unlikely.

Have you been checked for high Prolactin levels in your blood? You might have Prolactinomas which are benign (non-cancerous) tumors of the Pituitary Gland which produces Prolactin.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
We live in an age where it is common to try and put the blame for all our ills on something. The truth is that the cause of most Gynecomastia is Idiopathic.  That, I have been told, is a medical term meaning: "Your Guess is as good as Mine."
Actually, There is a long list of medications that include Gynecomastia or Swelling of the breasts as possible side effects.  Cipro is not one of them. 
Grandpa Dan

Offline fguss01

• Bronze Member
I imagine anything is possible but this is the first I have ever heard of this. Plus 2 weeks is hardly enough time for anything to develop.

Have you been checked for high Prolactin levels in your blood? You might have Prolactinomas which are benign (non-cancerous) tumors of the Pituitary Gland which produces Prolactin.

Thanks for the reply, I was under a really good endo for more than two years and initially straight after the Motilium my Prolactin was high and T and E2 were swinging wildly - by the end of two years they had all settled to normal range although T is at the low end.

Offline TigerPaws

Thanks for the reply, I was under a really good endo for more than two years and initially straight after the Motilium my Prolactin was high and T and E2 were swinging wildly - by the end of two years they had all settled to normal range although T is at the low end.
Low Testosterone can led to Estrogen being more dominate, your liver can and dose convert various hormones back and forth as your system requires. But once your system goes down the Estrogen path it is pretty difficult to reverse it.

Adding Testosterone to your system can help but there are issues with doing that. If you have women and especially young girls around even casual contact will transfer some of your excess Testosterone to them, even through your body oils and sweat which will have devastating effects on them.

It is interesting that a man's body is perfectly healthy being either Testosterone or Estrogen dominate but not in the middle and there has been some research suggesting that Estrogen is the more dominate hormone.

Just food for thought.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024