Author Topic: Compression vests  (Read 4379 times)

Offline Vanatu

• Silver Member
Compression vests aren't necessary are they? They are only to reduce swelling,bruising and discomfort?

http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/procedure_folder/male_breast/male_chest_garment.html

I just had surgery this week and my ps did not tell me to wear a compression vest but however prescribed me anti inflammatory meds, i still have my old compression vest from my first surgery and i was wondering if i should start sleeping in it to heal quicker

what do you think?

Offline latediagnosis

• Silver Member
I dont think it would hurt to wear the compression garment, most surgeons swear by them and believe they reduce recovery time. However, I suggest you ask your PS first - he may have a reason for you not to wear the compression vest.

Offline SDfiveSIX

• Posting Member
i wasn't advised to wear a compression vest... just an ace bandage wrap... but from what i've read it helps minimize the formation of huge amounts of scar tissue. i think everyone heals differently, but a compression vest is definitely a good idea. wear one if you can!

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
I would DEFINITELY wear a compression vest.  My chest was very sensitive to bounces (car bumps) for the first few weeks and I really didn't like walking around without one.  I felt somewhat naked.  The vest does help the healing process and allows your chest to maintain its post-op contour.

Offline Vanatu

• Silver Member
Well my ps said that he didn't like the compression west because they squeeze you(he probably only meant for personal discomfort) and i must say i concur, i think it's uncomfortable to wear the one i have. It's not as advanced and good as the one i was linking to, and i won't be able to get it because i live in a different country.

He said the swelling and scar tissue would take some weeks to go down.

Twin peaks i was a little sensitive the first couple of days but i had painkillers and now(1 week post op) i feel pretty.. prettyyy..preeettyyy good. Still tender but bouncing isn't really an issue anymore ;)

But twin peaks did your ps prescribe you anti inflammatory meds? only the compression west? I didn't get any anti inflammatory meds the first time only a compression west. Currently on 400mg Ibuprofen every 4-6 hours, he prescribed me about 100 pills, so it's about a month's supply.

He's going to remove the stitches tomorrow so i will inquire about compression vests and scar tissue.

Offline Vanatu

• Silver Member
Currently on 400mg Ibuprofen every 4-6 hours, he prescribed me about 100 pills, so it's about a month's supply. Gosh! 1. no vest 2. painkillers for a month...
Are you sure he is a plastic surgeon?

lol.. first of all ibuprofen is a non steroidal anti inflammatory medication not a painkiller AND it's available over the counter in 400mg form in most countries(but not mine, due to being recently tightly regulated)

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Compression the first 48 hours is helpful to decrease risk of bleeding and decrease swelling. I have my patients wear compression for six weeks because it aids in the process. Not wearing compression will probably obtain the same result but it will take longer.
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

DrBermant

Compression vests aren't necessary are they? They are only to reduce swelling,bruising and discomfort?

http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/procedure_folder/male_breast/male_chest_garment.html

I just had surgery this week and my ps did not tell me to wear a compression vest but however prescribed me anti inflammatory meds, i still have my old compression vest from my first surgery and i was wondering if i should start sleeping in it to heal quicker

what do you think?

For my patients, Compression Vests After Gynecomastia Surgery is mandatory.  They are important factors in my techniques to minimizeSwelling, Bruising and Discomfort After Gynecomastia Surgery, and permit me to rarely need drains after this surgery.

Each doctor has his / her own methods and preferences.  What you see on my website is typical for my patients with my techniques.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024