Author Topic: Company Medical  (Read 2969 times)

Offline enuff

• Bronze Member
Hi Guys

First posting, although have been reading the site for a while now. I've decided I'd like to go ahead with the op but of course it isn't that simple!

Can anyone tell me how long after the levick procedure you could get away with taking your shirt off (in front of a doc) and not look like you've had surgery (bruising, swelling, etc)

I have to have a medical  for work (top off!) and would rather not tell them about having this operation. I'm trying to plan a suitable recovery period between op and medical - would 2 months be sufficient or are we talking much longer?

Also,  I travel quite abit and hear that you shouldn't fly for around 3 weeks after the op - anyone else hear that?

Advice and comments appreciated
Dr K got rid of my gyne Jan 2009. Thank f@ck for that!
Words & pics: http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=16639.0

Offline irish_dude

• Silver Member
  • Op performed with Mr.Levick, 19/8/2005
From the pics I've seen, I guess anywhere up to three months before the bruising is completely gone.

However, the job of a medical is to assess that you are generally fit for a job, one of the questions on the general questionaire you will be asked by the GP will be "Have you undergone any major surgecial procedures in the last X years?'.

You could lie about this if your bruising is non-evidient, but be aware that if you have a major accident at work then any claim you make against the company might be considered null and void because you consciously made a false statement during the initial medical exam.

It really is best to be honest about these things. It's a touchy subject for all of us.

Personally speaking I'd told no one about my problem... ever. Having the initial consultantion, comitting to surgery (next week....gulp) and talking about it with a very small circle of close friends was almost a liberating experience.

I'm flying back from the UK to Ireland after the op, but I was recommended not to do so for at least 48 hours after the op.

I'm not intending to do much for the four weeks post op, certainly I'd rule out frequent flying or occassional long-hauls.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 02:45:24 AM by irish_dude »

Offline enuff

• Bronze Member
Hi Irish_dude

Thanks for the reply- wise words. I've been thinking recently that honesty might be the best policy. Suppose I better make an appointment with the Doc and get it over with!

As for the travel, I'll probably only be able to leave it 3 weeks after the op........ :o

Good luck with your op (levick?) - let us know how it goes.

Regards

Enuff

Offline RRB

• Gold Member
  • I am here to help
Hi Guys

First posting, although have been reading the site for a while now. I've decided I'd like to go ahead with the op but of course it isn't that simple!

Can anyone tell me how long after the levick procedure you could get away with taking your shirt off (in front of a doc) and not look like you've had surgery (bruising, swelling, etc)

I have to have a medical  for work (top off!) and would rather not tell them about having this operation. I'm trying to plan a suitable recovery period between op and medical - would 2 months be sufficient or are we talking much longer?

Also,  I travel quite abit and hear that you shouldn't fly for around 3 weeks after the op - anyone else hear that?

Advice and comments appreciated

For bruising and swelling thats hard to say as everyone bruises and heals differently.  I hardly had any bruising at all and it was gone within a week.  I have seen other guys with really scary bruises all over their body, it really depends on you.  Also will depend of your severity of gyne, i.e. puffy nipples or full blown boobs, and also on your build.  I mean smaller framed people with puffy nipples would be less noticed that chubby people with boobs if you get my drift.

If you dont mind my asking whats the medical for?, how indepth is it ?.  As for flying i think you would be fine after a few days,  I was advised not to fly home after the op but i think you could fly well before 3 weeks, ask the surgeon at your consultation though to be positive on this.

Other thing if the doctor doesnt ask then you wont have to tell him. 2 months is way more than enough time between medical and op i would say tho.  To be honest after my op now id be more inclined to tell people i HAD gyne but i dont now, i dont think it would bother me that much now its gone.
Surgery performed by Mr Paul Levick, 17/02/05. I am here to help.

Offline Yorkshireman

• Silver Member
Im 5 months post op with Levick, and Im still far from being at the stage where I could take my top off in public....I reckon it'll be about one year in total before I get to that stage.....

Offline Pferdestärken

• Silver Member
  • Fixed 03/06/05 by the incredible Mr Paul Levick!
    • My Diary
Two months post op; there is a faint shadow across my chest where the bruising was (check my pics, there was a lot!) and the two armpit scars are still quite red and noticeable. Healing is by a long way not yet complete, swelling comes and goes, but all siad I'd be surprised if anyone who wasn't "in the know" would spot anything. A doc would probably pick up on it straight away though.

If anyone did ask about the scars I might say something vague about glands and lumps and hope that the spectre of the "big C" would cut the conversation short ...  

I'll be shirt off at Disneyland Orlando next week anyway.  ;D
Pics | Op 3/6/05 Mr Paul Levick

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024