Author Topic: Post-Op Emphysema? Anyone familiar with this?  (Read 3195 times)

Offline thundercat

It has been about a week since I underwent surgery for my gynacomastia. My surgeon gave me an abdominal vest to wear around my chest as this is his preferred compression garment. The problem with this however is that is slides down and i find myself having to constantly pull it up. Last night as usual i was pulling up the strap, however I also pulled on my skin by mistake and it felt as tho the skin separated from the muscle. Resulting from this i was left with an "air bubble" under my skin which I could push around under my chest, and was very disconcerting to say the least. I visited my surgeon today told him of my situation, he told me that this was quite odd and labelled it as "post-op emphysema". He has suggested that the air will simply dissipate within a few days. I was hoping that someone would be able to clue me in as to what exactly has happened, and the process by which the body expels the air, so that I might ease my mind.

Offline Chorlton

• Silver Member
  • Gyne removed by Mr Levick 2nd Feb 05
    • Before and After Surgery Pics
Hi Thunder Cat,

My surgon did not ever mention that to me.  I have got compression bandages permanently stuck to my chest and have to leave it on for a week.  Maybe you should have a compression vest on.  My surgon did mention that mine may fill with fluid but this would get drained off.  It can talk a little time for the skin to stick back to the breast bone.

Hope you find a solution.  keep us posted.  Who was your surgon.  Did you go private or NHS?

Offline thundercat

Indeed, my surgeon said that this was quite odd, which was a little worrying. I insisted on buying and wearing one of the regular vests instead of the abdominal one and although it is the first day wearing it, I am much happier in it. I am located in Western Australia so I doubt the surgeon is of much relevance  :P , but my surgery was done privately and my surgeon is supposed to be well regarded.
Thanks for taking the time to reply!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024