Author Topic: Info I've learned past 4 months. Please reply  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Needhelp

• Posting Member
I'm 58 and learning more about gynecomastia each day. Picked my gyne up about 4 months ago on the left side only. Heres what I've done and learned.

Went to my internist first because I learned that the medication he was perscribing for cholesteral and triglicerides could have side effects (including gyne). Because he didn't know I requested he get a report from the pharmaceutical company.

After a month of pressure from the doctor, me and a report I filed to the FDA we got a responce.

In short they stated HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor (statins) are a causative agent of gynecomastia. In fact it was found in 10 to 15% of the therapy cases. the study said "theoretically it suppresses adrenal or gonadal steroid production through their efforts on cholesterol synthesis. This suppression may result in gynecomastia due to higher estradiol:testosterone ratio.

I've now gone to an endocrinolgist because I felt the internist was over his head and still in denial that the drug (advicor) caused the problem.

Encronologist took several blood test and found my testosterone level love (263) which is below normal.

She is going to put me on Androgel to help increase my levels. If anyone has experience with this please let me know.

I've done a lot of research on this and it's interesting how little doctors know about drugs they prescribe. If any of you are taking anything that can produce side effects I would suggest that you thoroughly look into what damage it could cause to your body.

Please feel free to comment.

Offline skyhawk

• Gold Member
Yes, I was told by a plastic surgeon that cholesterol lowering drugs can cause gynecomastia.

Androgel is what gave me gynecomastia. The androgel website stated that "breast enlargement was afrequent problem"  

When I called the pharma company and complained about the Gyne from the Androgel, the girl on the other end of the line said " Oh no, not again"

Offline Needhelp

• Posting Member
Interesting post.

So Androgel can cause gynecomastia. Sounds like my doctor wants to treat my low testosterone level and forgot my original reason for help was the gynecomastia.

Im going to ask more questions before I jump into the Androgel. It does seem with logic it would be more harmful than helpful.

hmmmm

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024