Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Robin_G

• Bronze Member
Hi there

I'm a 31 year old bloke who's had gyne since late teens

Have become quite adept at ignoring it over the years, avoiding embarassing siutaions along the way etc

I've become fed up with this however and want to know where to start when it comes to getting this sorted

Searching on the web led me here and have just browsed through a  few stories and pics etc

I had gyne diagnosed in my mid-twenties but didn't take it any further at this point as I didn't like the idea of an op and couldn't really afford one anyway

I think now, having read some of your comments about denial, I can see what the true value of  getting it done would be as I can relate to much of what you say

I notice a few surgeons names bandied around on here

Are there any that are particularly recommended by users on here? Whats the general consensus from those who've had it done?

I would also like to make contacts that I can talk to in the build up to this to get info etc. I am determined to deal with this asap now as enough time has passed with me ignoring a situation which does affect you despite what you might try and tell yourself

I am based in East Yorkshire if this has any relevance re recommendations for surgeons

I hope someone can help

Cheers

Robin_G

Offline serg

• Silver Member
Hello mate,

Like many of the post opers here, I am an advocate of surgery if gyne is something you're worried about. Firstly, step number one is to pick up the phone and arrange one or more consultation(s). There are plenty of good surgeons.

Jan Stanek - someone who I've had a great experience with
Alex Karidis - Very highly spoken of
Paul Levick - Lots of guys here have used him, and in Birmingham which could be better for you
Dan Goldberg- I've heard good things about him
Mark Gittos - John1984 seemed to be very happy with him

Plenty of options. Just need to get the ball rolling.

Serg

Offline London_boy

• Bronze Member
  • Op performed by Mr Levick 17/08/05
    • My Photos :
Hi Robin_G

You'll see if you search back through this forum that people have turned to a variety of surgeons to help them with their gyne, the most popular of which seems to be Paul Levick who is based at the Priory Hospital in Birmingham. Jan Stanek and Alex Karadis (both based in London) also appear to do good work.

It's difficult to say for certain that one surgeon is better than another and you'll have to do your own research to make an educated decision, but what I can tell you is that Levick has probably done more gyne correction op's than anyone else and has a unique understanding of the problem having been a former sufferer himself.

That said, only time will tell as I'm booked in for the op in August, so for the timebeing my fingers are firmly crossed......

Best of Luck !

Offline Pferdestärken

• Silver Member
  • Fixed 03/06/05 by the incredible Mr Paul Levick!
    • My Diary
Welcome aboard!

I liken the denial thing to those adverts on TV at the moment, e.g. the one where the guy refuses the long life light bulbs for the same price and gets stuck in the middle of dropped drawing pins when the inferior bulb blows.

Equate quality of life for quality of bulb and you'll see what I'm getting at. Its not life threatening, but why have a life with gyne over a life without?

From what I've seen costs appear to be similar across the board (£3.5k ish), not that cost should be an overriding factor in any decision.

You've started by posting here. Keep the ball rolling now, pick up the phone tomorrow and make an appointment.

Good luck!
Pics | Op 3/6/05 Mr Paul Levick

Offline Robin_G

• Bronze Member
Hi Guys

Thanks for these responses, its good to know theres others who know where I'm coming from and its not some unique neurotic thing I have

I wish I'd found this board a while ago to be honest but better late than never I guess

Re the surgeons, one name I came across is a guy called Simon Kay who works out of St. James' hospital in Leeds

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of him?

He charges £100 for a consultation, is this a standard sort of charge?

In the meantime I'm gonna do some background on these other names you mention. They are the ones I'd seen recrurring on other threads on here so I guess this must be a good sign

Like you advise though I'm keen to get my facts as soon as poss just so I get the ball rolling and finally sort this out

Again, thanks for the responses and if anyone knows about the surgeon named above or can also point me in the direction of info and contacts re other surgeons then that would be most appreciated too

Cheers

Robin_G

Offline Pferdestärken

• Silver Member
  • Fixed 03/06/05 by the incredible Mr Paul Levick!
    • My Diary
Mr Levick's consultation fee is £80, so £100 is in the ballpark.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024