Author Topic: Day 9 post op  (Read 3326 times)

Offline Billy9994

• Posting Member
I went for my one week (6-day actually) follow up with Dr. Fielding at St Joe's.

He finally removed the foam pads, which did not hurt even though I have a hairy chest (trimmed).

The right side is not bruised and looks flat although it looks indented above the nipple.  The left side is "moderately bruised and swollen" although in my opinion it looks MASSIVELY swollen (feels very hard) with huge yellow and purple bruises reaching all the way to midline and under my armpit.

Both nipples have 2 pieces of white tape covering the stitches.  He mentioned that onces these pieces of tape come off and i see white stitching thread, i can trim the extra pieces of thread.

He told me to wear the tensor bandages on tightly for 2 more weeks.

It was nice to finally be able to take a shower.  I am not sure if i should wait for the tape over my nipples to fall off on its own or if i should remove it and trim the extra threads underneath.  I feel that the tape may not come off since after every shower i immediately wrap my chest tightly again which is working to keep this tape stuck to my nipple.

billy

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I am not sure if i should wait for the tape over my nipples to fall off on its own or if i should remove it and trim the extra threads underneath.  I feel that the tape may not come off since after every shower i immediately wrap my chest tightly again which is working to keep this tape stuck to my nipple.

Dude....

You should be able to remove the tape at about the 14 day mark. The excision site should be healed enough by then. Then once you have removed the tape, as JCF mentioned, cut off the suture tails.

John.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 06:02:20 PM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Billy9994

• Posting Member
Thanx for the reply !

What a difference a day makes.  Today, post-op day 10, I took off the bandages this morning to take a shower and the left area that was really bruised looks a lot better.  I had really puffy nipples pre-op and they dont that puffy anymore since there is a lot less tissue behind them pulling them out and the swelling is subsiding !  I can begin to see what my chest will eventually look like and it looks good.  The tape over the nipple was beginning to come off so i too it off and i trimmed the surgical wires.  

Things seem to be lookin up !!

Billy

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
You couldent take a shower until day 6  :o !

I was able to take one only 48 hours post op.

Offline Billy9994

• Posting Member
Yes Dr. Fielding asks you to keep the area dry for a week .  I washed my hair and "sponged" myself daily.

billy

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
Hmm I find that interesting, well I guess evrey doctor is diffrent.

Offline toronto

• Silver Member
  • Gyne Free since April 27, 2005
ya he told me the same thing, but i couldn't not shower for a week, just me, so i poked holes in a garbage bag and wore it kind of like a vest to allow me to shower without getting the tensor wet, worked fine

Offline Billy9994

• Posting Member
I just got back from seeing Dr. Fielding again, this is Day 13 post-op.  The swelling on the left side has subsided quite a bit however it is still quite swollen.  He told me that i have a hematoma and he decided to drain it.  He inserted a needle and took out quite a lot of very dark old blood.

The right side is flat however the nipple is a bit caved in.  He said that the nipple naturally wants to stick to tissue/fat behind it so he told me i should aggressively massage the left side only, by using the palm of my hand and massaging very firmly in a rotational manner.  

He said that although the right side is swollen with a hematoma, it actually a better result than the flat left side since the nipple is not stuck to the tissue behind it.  But he assured me that both sides will eventually normalize even if i dont massage the left side.

He told me to monitor the left side and if it swells up again i should go back to see him in the clinic in 2 weeks, otherwise i can book my 2 month follow-up appointment in his office.

Just an update,

Billy

Offline crow

• Gold Member
  • All a big help thanks
I just got back from seeing Dr. Fielding again, this is Day 13 post-op.  The swelling on the left side has subsided quite a bit however it is still quite swollen.  He told me that i have a hematoma and he decided to drain it.  He inserted a needle and took out quite a lot of very dark old blood.

The right side is flat however the nipple is a bit caved in.  He said that the nipple naturally wants to stick to tissue/fat behind it so he told me i should aggressively massage the left side only, by using the palm of my hand and massaging very firmly in a rotational manner.  

He said that although the right side is swollen with a hematoma, it actually a better result than the flat left side since the nipple is not stuck to the tissue behind it.  But he assured me that both sides will eventually normalize even if i dont massage the left side.

He told me to monitor the left side and if it swells up again i should go back to see him in the clinic in 2 weeks, otherwise i can book my 2 month follow-up appointment in his office.

Just an update,

Billy

Good that your healing.......Tell me did your one areola puff out that caused him to drian it? ???

Good luck 8)
This is a great site and all should be proud to take part........

Offline Billy9994

• Posting Member
Well it was puffy because the tissue behind it was so swollen and bruised.  That swelling causes the aerola to stick out.

Billy

Offline crow

• Gold Member
  • All a big help thanks
Ya thats what i thought.......Mine is still like that 2 weeks post and sore.......But sounds like your comming along......Will he have to drian it agian?My PS metioned that but when i saw him he siad it was swollen and to come back in a month.........You must of had a build up
for him to drian it.......But good luck sound pretty much like most here.......... 8)

Offline Billy9994

• Posting Member
Ya im 21 days post op now... the right side is good just need to massage it since the nipple is stuck to the tissue behind it.. the left side is a bit swollen still and hard underneath and i can feel an indentation in the muscle above the nipple... im just going to give it time, I have an appointment in 2 months..
Billy

Offline crow

• Gold Member
  • All a big help thanks
Ya im 21 days post op now... the right side is good just need to massage it since the nipple is stuck to the tissue behind it.. the left side is a bit swollen still and hard underneath and i can feel an indentation in the muscle above the nipple... im just going to give it time, I have an appointment in 2 months..
Billy

Ya if the PS says to massage it then that is what i would do.......Where the side is swollen is lumppy?

Offline Give me Life

• Gold Member
Hi Billy:

Well, you had a long time now with the surgery with JCF. Can you please give your honest opinion now? I am looking forward to see JCF in June and wondering if I should go with Dr. Lista or Dr. JCF?

Please let us (me and others on board) your overall experience with surgery. And do you feel comfertable taking off your shirt this summer?

Thanks,
BB
Surgery done on Sept 6th, 2006 with Dr. Fielding - Toronto. Not 100% cured but will get there for sure !!!
----------------------------------------------------

Revision done on December 7th, 2007. Let's hope for best !!!
-------------------------------------------

Dr. Fielding
Suite #401, 2425 Bloor Street West, Toronto

Tel: 416.766.88

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024