Author Topic: My surgery with Alex Karidis 13/2/2007 - new pictures 13 April  (Read 5019 times)

Offline mychesthasgone

• Posting Member
Well where to start? I could go back to twelve years of age and the teasing in the playground, or all the other distressing moments this nasty little condition has caused me over the last 3 decades (40 now in case your wondering). But I probably start two years ago when I finally thought enough is enough.
I went to see my GP in Bath, who was very sympathetic and referred me to the RUH Bath NHS hospital. The oddness of being the only bloke sat in the breast clinic and being given a standard questionnaire about my periods on a sheet of pink (of course) paper rather amused me rather than upset me, although I'm sure some it would upset. I saw a very nice chap, who offered me surgery after a trail with Danasol or taxmoxifen. Having read a bit about the types of surgery I asked how he would approach it. He was completely upfront and said that he was a breast doctor and I would probably get a better cosmetic result with a PS.
It was then I turned to the private option. I researched and went to see the usual guys so often reported here, Levick, Karidis and Jan Stanek.
I would highly recommend that anyone thinking of going down this route sees at least two people. The following is pure personal opinion and I am sure that any of the three surgeons would have done a good job, but... I found Mr Stanek to be a little unsympathetic and that seemed to matter to me, and I was keen to avoid a sunken/stuck on nipple. I felt that the small incision in the lower part of the nipple Dr. Karidis makes would give better control over Mr Levicks “all through the armpit” technique. I also thought I got the best examination with Mr K. So my choice was made. I still didn’t book up immediately but spent another 6 months thinking about it. Eventually I did. Dr. Karidis has a reasonable waiting list but I was luck enough to pick up a cancellation and had my surgery on the 13 March.

Tazz has already reported the whole experience at Elizabeth’s and St John Hospital, which was excellent. I was scared on the day and had a two hour wait in my room, but when things started it was over pretty quick. I remember having the injection and being told this might make you feel a little relaxed. The next thing I remember was thinking to my self “why have they put this vest on before my surgery” and then realising that it was after my surgery. I was discharged about six hours latter.

The pain has been fairly light, and I have cut down on the pain killers today – day 2 after surgery. I had a shower last night, which did feel odd. I didn’t like touching the chest area it feels numb and like its not mine.

I was given two vests (black ones not sure of the make) I  had also order an Velcro shoulder  and hook and eye white one (would tell you the make but have it on!) which is more comfortable. I plan to regularly switch makes, avoiding the digging in that these things give you.

Overall – it was a lot better than I thought. Bit tired now, so might update again in a few days in the meanwhile here your usual before and after snaps – taken on day 1 after.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mychesthasgone/my_photos
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 01:48:13 PM by mychesthasgone »

Offline outertrial

Cool, Ive been wearing my vest about a week now and hardly notice it. They said the same thing to me in Barcelona about the anaesthetic, I wonder if its standard practice.

Offline tazz

• Posting Member
Good luck to you mychesthasgone.....i sent you a pm.

youll be back on your feet in no time.
out of interest, what was the cost of your surgery?

tazz

Offline mychesthasgone

• Posting Member
Thanks Tazz for your message. The total cost was 4800. The srivice I thought was excellent and so far I've been called a couple of time by the practice nurse whose has been checking up on me.

Today there is a fair bit of swelling, my left armpit loos like a dog has chewed it. However the right side is much better. Mr K doesn't stitch the wounds to allow drainage, all of which is stopped now. The most amazing thing is the smallness of the incissions. When i changed the dressings on my right side I had genuine difficulty in finding the scar.

I will run out of the diclofenic tonight and have been advised to move on to Ibruprophen - Might go to my GP to get some more, I what to keep the selling down as much as poss.

Will update the photos in a few days

Tazz when did you go back to work??

Offline tazz

• Posting Member
i know what you mean about the scars......

when i changed the dressings i couldnt see mine either and for a brief moment i wondered if mr K had done it properly!
ive never been so glad to see wounds on my body....lol

the pain was minimal, a lot less than i remembered from my previous NHS op but the bruising was spectacular.
i booked off 2 weeks from work and thought that would just about be enough time for recovery (im in construction) but i was fitting a new kitchen in my house the second week (seriously)

hope you get the results youre after, good luck.

Offline mychesthasgone

• Posting Member
I have updated my photos with some day 5 pics ( and one before pic).

Overall I'm delighted. There is still some fat around the sides (a big problem of mine). But,
it might be added to by the swelling, and secondly I could do with loosing a few pounds.

The side on photo (look at the before) shows what a fantastic job Mr K has done.

I have not needed a pain killer at all today and cooked lunch for my friends. Might even have a beer tonight - only the one though!

I keep walking around with a smile - If you have doubts, dont, just do it

Offline mychesthasgone

• Posting Member
Just updated my pictures on day 8. Have noticed that alot of people have concerns about the scars so took a couple of pics of them. Note the armpit photo - the major mark in from the plaster - the scar is the small line in the middle. The scars (or lack of) really impress me

If anyone wants to ask a question or post a comment feel free

Offline mychesthasgone

• Posting Member
Things are still going nicely. I have built up a layer of scar tissue below the skin which is hard to the touch. Thankfully fom the posts on this site I was fully expecting it to occur. I have started light massage, I must get into a routine for that as currently its a bit hit and miss.

Th sensation and feeling it pretty much back to normal, pain is very light and feels a bit like a nettle sting at the moment.

Overall I'm very pleased with the appearence especially under clothes. I have loads of clothes that have never been worn, because of how i used to look in them. I delight in wearing them now.

I have updated my photos with some taken on day 18. As always comments questions welcome. I plan to continue to post even if i don't get any comments because this site (and the experiences posted here) were the reason I finally came to terms with the condition and helped me find the solution. So I hope my experence may help someone else do the same

All the best

Offline steve21

• Posting Member
Keep on posting. Its good to read a success story. Judging by the pics, its looking really good.

Offline TommyA

• Posting Member
Yes - please keep posting - I have consultation with Karadis in a couple of months so obviously interested to see how things turn out.
Thanks

Offline mychesthasgone

• Posting Member
Just posted three more pics taken a few days ago - Still pleased with the results. Might of liked a bit more off around the sides, but hey. The real joy is being able to say I look normal - and thats what we all want. I have been swimming which seem to feel good for the scar tissue. I also felt entirely different out of the water walking around the pool.

If you look at the arms up picture you can see my left armpit scar, its the small black dot (the mark on the right is not the scar) Again it look v good to me. Have shown a large number of people, including ones who I wouldn't ever thought i would. I now alot of people still carry the embarrasment post surgery, but for me the embarrassing part was having moobs, I'm quite proud of getting rid of them. - Incidently I heard an excellent quote on radio 4 today by a woman who had had a procedure, she said "those who critisise those of us who have had plastic surgery are normally the ones who need it most" made me laugh.

I have a check up with Mr K on the 25th so it will be interesting to see what he says. My GP thought it was a fantastic job too, he showed me the letter from Mr K who said he had removed 800ml of fat - Thats loads isn't it.

I'm off on hols in a few weeks, the next photos might be on a beach. - All the best to you all

Offline NotFedup

• Gold Member
  • Surgery in Poland By Dr Baranski 24th Oct 2006
losing my moobs was almost as painless as losing my sanity

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024