Author Topic: Your Favorite Bra Fitter and Why?  (Read 1958 times)

OnlyGodKnowsWhy

Hello everyone, so I'm getting ready for my 6 month fitting. I have noticed some of the c cup bras I've bought lately tend to have a little overflow in them.... anyway I've been buying from Victoria Secret because there's one close and I can get good deals, especially if I shop in the PINK section. Anyway, the one closest to me requires a scheduled fitting so I called in and the lady I talked to laughed when I asked for a bra fitting and she said she "guesses they will fit a guy...." I said thanks and hung up and promptly called Soma. The lady on the other end was really super nice and said no big deal, I can walk in whenever I want for a fitting.

She proceeded to tell me their hours and was more than kind to me. I will be driving about twice the distance on Saturday to go to Soma instead of Victoria Secret and paying a lot more for a fitting and new bra or two, but the customer service already has me sold.

That got me wondering, who do you all prefer for your fittings and why?

OnlyGodKnowsWhy

Well, I got off work early today and was excited to try somas so much that I went after work instead of waiting until the weekend. The fitter was sooooooo nice and really made it fun to try on new bras. There was a younger lady behind the desk that I head giggle when I first was in the fitting room, but I don't think she was giggling at me. My fitter was super helpful with making sure the fit was right and had me trying on 5 different styles of bras in 3 or 4 different sizes each until I found two that I absolutely loved. I got an underwire full coverage, and a vanishing wireless. My fitter Lanola said she was sorry for overloading me with too much information and homework while I was trying bras on, but I told her it was amazing to be treated as just someone else who wears a bra, not laughed at. She asked if I wanted to wear one home, which I gratefuly went to the fitting room and changed. 

Long story short, I'm through with Victoria secret and will be swapping out all my old bras with Soma bras. They are sooo comfy and feel so much better built. Plus an unconditional 60 day return if I decide the fit isn't quite right. One million % suggest soma 

Offline gyneco_jason

• Bronze Member
I had my fitting at Cacique and the woman working there was very professional about it. I didn't even ask for one. I had a pretty good idea of my size, and just wanted to buy a few and slip in and out. She asked me if I knew "her size," assuming I was buying a gift, and I sheepishly admitted they were for my gynecomastia. She politely apologized (didn't even need to) and asked if I'd like a fitting just to be sure they'd fit properly. Then she asked her co-worker to watch the store and give us a minute of privacy. Being fitted for a bra is awkward, but she did it quickly and without any embarrassment for either of us. So I would definitely recommend Cacique, and hopefully the staffers are as helpful as they were with me.

Kazmage

Myself sadly have only had one fitting and you could tell she wasn't interested .
She didn't measure me just brought me a random selection and told me to try them on. 
All the other stores in my town have told me they would only do a visual fitting as men aren't allowed to try on in store.

Offline gotgyne

Myself sadly have only had one fitting and you could tell she wasn't interested .
She didn't measure me just brought me a random selection and told me to try them on.
All the other stores in my town have told me they would only do a visual fitting as men aren't allowed to try on in store.
This fitter is really lousy!

And that men are not allowed to try on lingerie in stores is just discrimination!
A bra is just an article of clothing for people with breasts.

Offline Johndoe1

Pre COVID there was a locally owned shop I would patronize. The lady who owned it would do the  fitting herself and she was very open to serving men. I went to her shop because I was welcomed there and a couple of the other local shops were not interested in fitting men and one told me they would only sell me a bra if it were for my wife only. But COVID forced her to close so I am still looking for a local shop but haven't found one yet so I am buying off the web and even though I have found two shops that are very willing to serve men, both inviting me to come by for a fitting if I am ever in their towns, but they are several states from me so that will not happen, unfortunately.
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

Kazmage

This fitter is really lousy!

And that men are not allowed to try on lingerie in stores is just discrimination!
Yeah it didn't feel too good at the time 
It might be but not much I can do about it as even if I did raise that issue with someone I would most likely be shut down lol

Dudewithboobs

Myself. I’m now a 34c and have found fitting self for a bra isn’t rocket science and doesn’t require a college degree just a degree of minimal patience to understand basic measuring and understanding that each brand and size aren’t equal to the next. Sticking to the brands I know well have allowed me to easily go find my size style and preference and grab and go. From 34a to b now C which is insane to me, just general patience and minimal learning I’ve found the bras I buy fit well adjust well and wear well. 
For me, a professional fitting is necessary when one doesn’t want to take the time to learn it themselves or wants the convenience of someone else doing it or wanting support and confirmation of their bust size from a professional. Which isn’t an intent to insult, just some people would rather call a plumber than take the time to learn how to fix the sink. When I bought a house I barely knew how to use a hammer and now I have done many home projects from adding on to renovation to remodel. I figure if I can do that I could figure out a bra lol. 

aboywithgirls

For myself, I am usually fitted for most of my bras. Most stores don't typically carry a 36H UK sizing which is like a 36J US sizing. So, I have the boutiques near by that do carry my size. I get fitted as it's part of their regular service. It gives me an opportunity to to try other brands that I may not have otherwise tried. My favorite bras are ones that have been suggested to me by my fitters.

Sophie ❤️ 

Online blad

Whether you have a professional fitting or not, trying the bra on in the store generally avoids a whole lot of returns and mistakes. 

Trying a bra on in store is a smoother process if you involve a sales representative and discuss your needs.
If the bra fits, wear it.

Confused old man

I went to soma for a fitting just to get a idea what to look for and their professional opinion. Walked out with a few bras and now I know what I like and fits. No need to go back. Even my wife learned something. I did all this a couple of months ago. Glad I did it.

Offline jan1north

• Posting Member
Positive, respectful, compassionate, helpful, quiet fitting experiences: 
- Soma (3 area stores I’ve tried)
- Torrid (also at 3 area stores)
- Lane Bryant (2 area stores)
- Bras Galore (a Chicago area boutique)
- Busted Bra Shop (Ann Arbor boutique)

Not as positive or variable experiences:
- Victorias Secret (2 area stores although they don’t stock 40 band size and try to squeeze you into a 38 )
- Dillards 

Negative, embarrassing experiences:
- Von Maur (2 regional stores - both involved the men’s department try on)

Easy DIY place to try on bras without any SA interaction or help:
- Kohl’s (grab a bag at the front door, browse the ‘intimate apparel’ department placing selections in your bag, cross aisle and try on in men’s)

In general I’ve found timing helpful. Less busy = better experience.  Also make note of helpful SA’s and return to them.  Surprisingly you will be remembered (likely they don’t get many male customers). 

Jan
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 07:00:29 AM by jan1north »

aboywithgirls

Positive, respectful, compassionate, helpful, quiet fitting experiences: 
- Soma (3 area stores I’ve tried)
- Torrid (also at 3 area stores)
- Lane Bryant (2 area stores)
- Bras Galore (a Chicago area boutique)
- Busted Bra Shop (Ann Arbor boutique)

Jan
Even a decade ago, Soma, Torrid and Lane Bryant were welcoming men in to browse,  shop and try on their clothing in their stores. They were also very willing to offer fittings to their male customers.

Soma has a great selection and great quality lingerie and sleepwear (and they usually have my size in stock).

My local Lane Bryant closed but, Torrid has great outerwear as well. I was wearing Torrid dress slacks and tops for work, years before transitioning and I love what they have.

Torrid carries most of the popular bra sizes from B up to a DDD and occasionally larger cup sizes. I order them and have them shipped to the store and try them on there. If they don't fit, I don't pay for them and they will order a size that will.

You don't have to be a woman to shop women's clothing stores. If you're chest, hips, thighs or bottom resembles a more feminine shape, you should at least give it a try. You may be surprised by the level of service you receive. Not to mention the fit and the feel of the clothing may be much better than expected. 
Sophie ❤️

OnlyGodKnowsWhy

Sophie ❤️
This is the issue I had with VS vs Soma.... victoria secret simply wouldn't do it, but the lady at soma was so happy to help me. She brought me soooo many bras to try and apologized saying she didn't want to ober load me. She was so amazing to work with. I honestly look forward to going back when I have the money and buying a couple more bras

Confused old man

There is a transgender woman who lives in Florida that works part time for Soma. Rhonda is her name. So yes, soma is much more open about this sort of thing. She has a blog. Rhondasescape.com. Talks a lot about fashion and being accepted of who you are.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024