Author Topic: Tamoxifene side effects  (Read 5185 times)

Offline sunny007

• Posting Member
Hi
I m going to start tamoxifene for the treatment of gyno and i asked my endo about side effects of it.He says that tamo is a safe drug .plz tell me the side effects.
My family has a history of heart related problems,Should i tell this to my endo. 

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
you absolutely should tell him, especially since clots are one potential risk.  and there are websites that talk about the effects, but you know which are more relevant than i do. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline peh123

• Posting Member
Can this really treat gyno effectively???

Offline moobius

• Gold Member

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
this will inhibit your E2 production but if you already have gyne then it will not disapear 'cos of this !
 If it bothers you that much then save up & get them chopped off! ;D

tamoxifen doesn't inhibit E2 production... it competes with it for binding at the estrogen receptors in the breast tissue.

Offline sunny007

• Posting Member
Are clots formed due to tamoxifen are temporary or permanent ?

Offline xoxxx

• Posting Member
saying that your family have know heart problems, ask your endo if you should take something like a low dosage of asprin.
-Tamoxifen does increase the chances of a blood clot, but you also need to remember that women with breast cancer will take this drug for sometimes FIVE years +
-It also is semi-liver toxic, however I have never personally heard/seen somebodys enzyme functions change because of this drug.
-It has been proven various times that it will stunt your growth plates because estrogen plays a role with bone growth. But if your not growing anymore (18-20+) then you have nothing to worry about.

Feel free to ask anymore questions that you are curious about.

Offline tony_ss

• Silver Member
I took Tamoxifen for 3 months and then letrozole for another 3 months. I didn't feel any side-effects while taking them. However after some time period, twice I fractured my leg. x-ray showed that there was  bone loss..
I am not sure if it was due to letrzole or tamoxifen...
still my bones are weak.
Check-out these sites:
http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.org/cgi/content/full/7/2/163

<estrogen has many effects throughout the body. It is dangerous to block its action indiscriminately. For instance, estrogen is also important in bone growth, and blocking of estrogen action may lead to osteoporosis. >

http://www.cancercare.on.ca/pdfmedicationinfo/Letrozole.pdf

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
this will inhibit your E2 production but if you already have gyne then it will not disapear 'cos of this !
 If it bothers you that much then save up & get them chopped off! ;D

tamoxifen doesn't inhibit E2 production... it competes with it for binding at the estrogen receptors in the breast tissue.

correct technically but it will have the effect of reducing the circulating estrogen & therefore its effect on the body.Thats why they use it in breast cancer types that have estrogen dependant tumours. bit like giving anti-androgens to a patient with testosterone stimulated tumours ( eg prostate cancer) Those often have the effect of causing gyne.

incorrect... tamoxifen is a SERM -- a Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators. it competes with estrogen for the receptors and in breast tissue it is less of an agonist than estrogen. in no way does it reduce circulating estrogen; in fact, when one stops taking tamoxifen and therefore has less tamoxifen in the bloodstream to compete with estrogen for the receptors, they tend to experience an estrogen rebound effect as tamoxifen is replaced with estrogen at the recpetor sites.   this is of course unless they also take something that actually reduces estrogen, such as a suicide inhibitor or anti-aromatase

Offline peh123

• Posting Member
does creatine effect tamoxin?? or its ability to work??

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
does creatine effect tamoxin?? or its ability to work??

no and no

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024