Author Topic: working out post op?  (Read 2513 times)

Offline tomorrow

• Posting Member
I've become a bit of a gym rat these days and go 5-6 times a week splitting time with resistance training and cardio. I've got myself in pretty good shape only the obvious problem with gyne (I wear baggy clothes). I'm considering surgery and will be talking to my doctor today about it. 2 questions now:
1. How long will I have to wait post op before I can return to the gym in any facet? Bench weights are probably out for a while? How long before cardio?
2. Does surgery remove any muscle as well? I know I have some pretty good pecs under the layers of fat.

Offline rcbrown23

No, the op does not remove ANY muscle.

As far as working out...it really depends. Right now I'm four and a half weeks post op, and today is the first day I plan on trying going for a jog and maybe some situps or something. I could have easily been going out for long walks these past few days, but I'd rather wait to run. I plan on slowly getting back into weights. Next week, some light weight training. Week after that, a little heavier, and so on and so forth...

-Brown

Offline nukem2k5

• Breasts belong on women!
I visited my PS 15 days post-op and he said that I can do anything I feel comfortable with.  I had my op on May 24 and last night I was playing some hardcore DDR with some friends and it didn't hurt.

I plan to start going back to the gym regularly to at least do cardio in the following week.  

I'd suggest at least 2 weeks before anything, and 3-4 for any sort of upper-body weight training.  It really depends on how comfortable you are while doing it.  If it hurts, stop.
Reborn on May 24, 2005
Surgery Cost: $4,040
Dr. David Metzner - New Orleans, LA
My Photos
Two Years Post-Op Photos

Offline There_Is_Hope

• Bronze Member
I'm less than two weeks post op but I'm in the gym doing legs quite a bit. Rather be in the gym doing nothing than at home.

Wait a month for upper body.

Offline Spleen

I had surgery on the chest plus lipo on the love handles and I was back in the gym in 10 days.  Ask yer Doc what he or she thinks first & go from there.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024