Author Topic: Need some info, advic, etc, as well as my story, consult in October  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Methodman

• Posting Member
Well guys as the title says I'm going in for a consult in October.

I'm currently 17 years old, about 6'1", and 185 lbs

When I was 14-15 years old I weighed in at around 307 lbs, I finally decided that it was time to lose weight.  Now obviously from being overweight as many people do I developed large man boobs.  Now being 14 I didn't think about what would happen AFTER I lost weight. I started playing Varsity football and got into shape lifting weights and now am in good athletic condition.  Well in one year I got down to 210 lbs, I didn't consider losing weight slow to reduce loose skin (thankfully mine isn't god awful and actually people are surprised I have loose skin most say its only noticeable when I take my shirt off).  Well I first learned about gyne on this website, I actually thought my chest sagged just because of loose skin, but I looked at my dad and I realize he has it, because he was never overweight and worked out, but when he takes his shirt off you can tell he does.  So thats my background story, now I need some info.

These are current pics of me: I apologize for horrible quality but it was late at night had to use my phone
Front:

Left:

Right:

Arms Lifted Front:

I think my left is slightly bigger than my right but anyway
My questions are this
1. I would like to have this and a tummy tuck (maybe mini tuck) done on the same day are these complimentary surgeries? I believe I read somewhere you can have both in the same sitting.
2. Some useful questions to ask my surgeon
3. With loose skin and a little gland will they be able to remove the excess skin, and reduce the areola (do you guys think it needs reducing?) without terrible scarring?
4. I'm in my senior year of high school and want to get this done over christmas break (which is TWO weeks long) first question dealing with this is can I be back in school after 2.5 weeks?
Second with this is I noticed some of the scarring on the nipple areas seems very bad, do these usually fade eventually (I mean to the point where I can take my shirt off and not have to explain what happened to me)?
If I figure out anymore questions Ill ask

Thanks in advance for anything you guys can give me I am feeling very confident about surgery, but my mom is one of those glass half empty people and she just tells me that its a mental problem and that if I was truly a happy person it wouldn't matter how I look, but I don't think she realizes the way I feel.

Offline tttdone

• Bronze Member
in the first pic it looks like the right is bigger than the left.... but anyway.
ya 2.5 weeks should be plenty of recovery time to go back to school.
Surgery on 8/20/2008

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Based on the photos alone and the info that you provided, you would probably require some skin excision on both breasts (and perhaps excision of any residual breast tissue as well).

As for the abdomen, that would require a physical examination to determine the extent of the surgery.  Sometimes the two procedures can be combined, but in other cases, they may be done in two separate procedures -- mainly for safety.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Well guys as the title says I'm going in for a consult in October.

I'm currently 17 years old, about 6'1", and 185 lbs

When I was 14-15 years old I weighed in at around 307 lbs, I finally decided that it was time to lose weight.  Now obviously from being overweight as many people do I developed large man boobs.  Now being 14 I didn't think about what would happen AFTER I lost weight. I started playing Varsity football and got into shape lifting weights and now am in good athletic condition.  Well in one year I got down to 210 lbs, I didn't consider losing weight slow to reduce loose skin (thankfully mine isn't god awful and actually people are surprised I have loose skin most say its only noticeable when I take my shirt off).  Well I first learned about gyne on this website, I actually thought my chest sagged just because of loose skin, but I looked at my dad and I realize he has it, because he was never overweight and worked out, but when he takes his shirt off you can tell he does.  So thats my background story, now I need some info.

These are current pics of me: I apologize for horrible quality but it was late at night had to use my phone

I think my left is slightly bigger than my right but anyway
My questions are this
1. I would like to have this and a tummy tuck (maybe mini tuck) done on the same day are these complimentary surgeries? I believe I read somewhere you can have both in the same sitting.
2. Some useful questions to ask my surgeon
3. With loose skin and a little gland will they be able to remove the excess skin, and reduce the areola (do you guys think it needs reducing?) without terrible scarring?
4. I'm in my senior year of high school and want to get this done over christmas break (which is TWO weeks long) first question dealing with this is can I be back in school after 2.5 weeks?
Second with this is I noticed some of the scarring on the nipple areas seems very bad, do these usually fade eventually (I mean to the point where I can take my shirt off and not have to explain what happened to me)?
If I figure out anymore questions Ill ask

Thanks in advance for anything you guys can give me I am feeling very confident about surgery, but my mom is one of those glass half empty people and she just tells me that its a mental problem and that if I was truly a happy person it wouldn't matter how I look, but I don't think she realizes the way I feel.

There can be a great deal of excess skin After Massive Weight Loss.  This can be a global issue affecting multiple areas of the body to different degrees.  A Lower Body Lift can help with sagging belly, thighs, and buttocks.  A Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty can be a compromise to help with the stomach.  Take some time to review the movies of patients turning in circles to see compromises each has made for their surgical options.  A Mini Tuck Abdominoplasty is typically for much smaller problems as it will not manage much extra skin.

When there is sagging of both chest and abdomen, my typical recommendation is to do the lower body first.  Let the tissues equillibrate and then do the upper body.  Lift the upper chest and then then addressing the lower body may lower the chest requiring a revision.  Some surgeons combine upper and lower surgeries together. For patient safety and comfort, I do not offer this combination in one operation. 

There are many different types of Male Skin Reduction Chest Lift Surgery.  What type is better depends on many different factors. You can see typical scars for my patients with this surgery on my website. 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Male Mastopexy Chest Lift for Sagging Tissues

Offline Methodman

• Posting Member
Hey guys posted a few days ago that I was going to get a consult and about my situation.
Well I got a consult scheduled for October 15, Of course most people try to hide the surgery, I cant because being 17 I have to get my parents to sign for it of course.
The really great news is the fact that it looks like the insurance is going to cover it.
Now I just have to figure out from the surgeon if I can get this combined with a tummy tuck or else I'm looking at two different surgeries which I really don't want to do >_< since I had planned to do the surgery a week before Christmas break so that once I got back to school I could have a moob free rest of the year and look at my senior year's summer being a great one where I can go shirtless at the beach finally :)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Geeze dude, I don't see any G in your pics. Has anyone teased you or made comments about your chest?

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024