Author Topic: Open incision at 2 weeks?  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Heisenberg

So its been just over 2 weeks since my surgery, and after a week of showers the little tape strips over my incisions have loosened up enough to take off. I pulled off the right one and you cant even tell there was ever a cut there, I was very impressed. However, the left incision actually opens when I pull the skin. The cut hasn't even healed over, and it isnt held together with stitches that I can see.
This worries me a little because since a few days after the surgery up until now Id been having weird pulling feelings in my left side that I mentioned in another post. Im now thinking that I pulled the stitches from moving a certain way and the feeling Ive been getting was the incision shifting around.

Are open incisions at 2 weeks post-op normal? What steps should I take to ensure it heals correctly?

Also, when I first took my vest off at 1 week I noticed lots of blood on the left gauze vs almost none on the right. Im not bleeding at all now obviously but it makes me wonder if I really did tear the stitches out. I had an incident on the bus the day after surgery where I relied on my left arm a little too much and got a shooting pain through my chest. Could this be the cause?

Offline Liandoolb

• Posting Member
So its been just over 2 weeks since my surgery, and after a week of showers the little tape strips over my incisions have loosened up enough to take off. I pulled off the right one and you cant even tell there was ever a cut there, I was very impressed. However, the left incision actually opens when I pull the skin. The cut hasn't even healed over, and it isnt held together with stitches that I can see.
This worries me a little because since a few days after the surgery up until now Id been having weird pulling feelings in my left side that I mentioned in another post. Im now thinking that I pulled the stitches from moving a certain way and the feeling Ive been getting was the incision shifting around.

Are open incisions at 2 weeks post-op normal? What steps should I take to ensure it heals correctly?

Also, when I first took my vest off at 1 week I noticed lots of blood on the left gauze vs almost none on the right. Im not bleeding at all now obviously but it makes me wonder if I really did tear the stitches out. I had an incident on the bus the day after surgery where I relied on my left arm a little too much and got a shooting pain through my chest. Could this be the cause?

Do you have a way to contact your surgeon directly? You might want to give her/him a call... That does sound a little odd if the right side has healed up properly, but if there's no pain/bleeding or sign of infection then hopefully you can get it sorted out quickly.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
While I obviously have not seen your incision, a slight separation of a wound is not uncommon and is no cause for undue concern.  With appropriate care, it should heal quite nicely by itself.  Best to check with your surgeon and I am sure he will prescribe some simple wound care instructions for you.

Assuming there is no infection, it should heal quite well.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Heisenberg

Thanks for the response Dr. Jacobs, hearing a professional opinion really helps ease the nerves haha  :D 
I know that I, and Im sure many others here, have some anxieties over achieving that satisfactory final result, wondering if everything is going as it should. Having a reliable source to answer questions and concerns is great. We all truly appreciate it  ;D

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024