Author Topic: Zigzag Incision : Eccentric Mastectomy and Zigzag Periareolar Incision  (Read 5328 times)

Offline artichokeheart

• Posting Member
I've come across a surgeon in Asia who performs the surgery with a "Zigzag Periareolar Incision" which is claimed to help mask the appearance of the incision by naturally blending in. He also does not use drains post-op. Are there any notable doctors who successfully use this procedure?
I have come across only a few articles using google which reference this method. Unfortunately, after living in this part of the world for a while I am very skeptical of anything coming from the doctors after a rash of debunked medical reports, a propensity to overmedicate for profit, and a seemingly questionable code of ethics.
If this method has not proven as consistent and safe as others, I would simply plan on getting surgery Thailand or India where it is done more often with more documented successes. But, as I don't live in either of these countries. I would prefer to have it done where I do live.
Thanks for you help.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
A zig-zag incision can be used in certain circumstances -- it is not a new technique.  However, we get such unbelievably good results from a simple straight line peri-areolar incision that I see no reason to complicate the process.  Obviously, the incision has to be sewn up with great care.

As for drains, I used them maybe once or twice a year only -- nothing new here either.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

I've come across a surgeon in Asia who performs the surgery with a "Zigzag Periareolar Incision" which is claimed to help mask the appearance of the incision by naturally blending in. He also does not use drains post-op. Are there any notable doctors who successfully use this procedure?
I have come across only a few articles using google which reference this method. Unfortunately, after living in this part of the world for a while I am very skeptical of anything coming from the doctors after a rash of debunked medical reports, a propensity to overmedicate for profit, and a seemingly questionable code of ethics.
If this method has not proven as consistent and safe as others, I would simply plan on getting surgery Thailand or India where it is done more often with more documented successes. But, as I don't live in either of these countries. I would prefer to have it done where I do live.
Thanks for you help.

I have seen an article about a zigzag incision where the surgeon went way out onto the chest and into the colored areola. They looked horrible. Zigzag or z shaped incisions have been around for quite some time. A good technique should be able to be demonstrated with many before and after surgery pictures / movies. Tissues should be able to look good both at rest and in animation. For many years I have incorporated and have written about using a non curvilinear zigzag incision matching the color contour edge of the areola which is often not just a curve, but an irregular shape. My zigzags however, do not extend beyond the color boundaries.  You can find many examples of my technique on my website.

Here is one Close Up Picture of Areola Scar Revision for Gynecomastia Surgery that the first surgeon left inside the areola. Check how this looks compared to moving the scar to the edge. Here is but one of many Before and After Areola Picture Galleries on my site. Check the links on that page and then go to the individual examples for each patient.

I rarely need to use drains for this surgery and now am at about 1 patient every one to 2 years needing drainage.

Carefully check out before and after surgery pictures and movies when possible when evaluating a particular claim about what a technique offers.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024