Author Topic: Nervous.. Will I have a successful surgery?  (Read 2727 times)

Offline misterbob

• Posting Member
Hey guys,
Just got my date for my surgery (30/3) and am elated. However, after browsing through the post op stories I'm getting very nervous that the surgery might go wrong (i.e. I'll be very disappointed). Just as a rough estimation, how many people have a successful outcome compared to those who don't?
Thanks

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Have you ever heard the term "bad news travels faster than good news"?  I think that may be what is happening here.  You hear more about the bad stuff than the good stuff.  I had my surgery almost 5 weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier!  This forum really helped me to be realistic about what to expect after surgery so I WOULDN'T be disappointed.  I had a moderate to severe case too, so I was worried about excess skin, sagging skin, scar tissue and all that.  In my case, I didn't have any problems with excess skin or sagging at all.  Everything tightened up fantastically! Scar tissue however is going to form on everyone, and there is no way possible for any doctor to predict how your body will heal itself after surgery.  But, in time, the scar tissue and swelling will subside and you'll look as fantastic as you always hoped you would.  Remember, it's about a realistic result.  You won't be perfect right away.  In fact, it's a bit of a roller coaster!  You'll look awesome right after surgery, then the swelling and scar tissue kick in after a couple of weeks.  I think this is where you are getting all of the negative comments from.  It can be disheartening to see your immediate post op results change for the worse.  But it WILL improve!  It's all about patience.  It's a journey, no doubt about it, but this forum is a great place to start.  Keep reading and you'll find a lot of gems here to help you through pretty well any questions or concerns you may have.  Ask any of us as many questions as you like, we're all here to help you out.  Best of luck to you!  :D
Shakenbake baby, SHAKE N BAKE!!  Ya, that just happened.

Offline zm

• Silver Member
Hey shakenbake,
it's feedback from guys like you really helps me feel confident with surgery.. thanks dude.

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Hey, you're very welcome!  I'm healing right now myself, so I know all too well about the concerns for a good outcome.  I'm now 6 weeks post op, and I think things are healing up wonderfully.  Like a lot of others that are worried, I also have some lumps of scar tissue, and a crease has developed near my right nipple when I lean forward.  Also, my left side has swollen a bit more than the right side, but I'm confident all of these issues will work themselves out in time, so I try not to dwell on them.  Any way I look at it, it's a big improvement over what I looked like before.  I no longer have to wear the compression vest either, and I gotta say, I look damn good in a plain ole' t-shirt!  Chin up fellas!  Things WILL get better  ;)

bertrand russell

After suffering with extreme gynecomastia for 38 years, i made the decision to have surgery on January 13, 2012.For the record, i have never used steroids- my case presented during puberty.
After doing some research, i decided on Rick Silverman because i got a positive feeling after communicating with him via email and consultation. His words resonated with me- and seemed to make sense.
My surgery was a covert operation, and the opportunity to travel 4 hours north to have my surgery in anonymity
was appealing to me. Also, since i was alone, Dr. Silverman offers a package that allows patients to stay overnight at St Elizabeth's hospital- it really is a great deal.

I took a full 6 weeks off from the gym, even though Dr. Silverman said that i could return sooner, but i made the executive decision to lay low; after all, i have been working out for 30 years, without taking more than a week off. I had my first workout today, and it was awesome. No pain, but i am taking it slow for the first week.

Dr. Silverman visited me immediately after surgery, as well as the morning that i checked out of the hospital..Everyone at St Elizabeth's was great. I am from the NY Metro area,and i felt a down to earth quality to the nurses here that i do not see in my neck of the woods.
I stayed at the nearby Crowne Plaza in Newton the Saturday and Sunday following surgery, and i checked out Monday . Dr. Silverman even stopped by when i checked out of the hotel for a final checkup and to crack a few more jokes.Booking the Crowne Plaza a month in advance got me a dirt cheap rate I paid about 80 or 90 bucks a night for a room that is normally 150.

I am glad that i had the surgery. It really has changed my life, but i want to say that one needs to be very patient- this can not be stressed enough. Range of motion in my arms was limited for at least 3 to 4 weeks.
The numbness is a bit scary.. you think you will never be your old self again- but it is all in your fat head  :)

I can not guarantee that you will have a positive outcome if you choose Dr. Silverman for your surgery, in fact, neither Dr. Silverman nor the other fine doctors on this board will guarantee perfect results, because
it is all so subjective in the final analysis.Everyone is different and heals different.

Having this surgery improved my self esteem and has made me feel more masculine.
For 38 years i carried the cross of Gynecomastia. Big boobs and all, i was still accomplished in my field,
had a successful career,having achieved worldwide fame. You can live a fulfilling life with Gynecomastia.
Do not get this surgery unless you can not live another day dealing with it. The doctors here will tell you this themselves. This was a 50th Birthday present to myself, and i deserve it, after devoting much of my life to my family.It took me 38 years to see this through.

Dr. Silverman knows his craft- make no mistake. My case was really bad, and 6 weeks later i am thrilled, and could not be happier. No hematomas- seromas, or problems of any kind.

In summary- do not get the surgery unless you get to a point that the condition is unbearable.
Have realistic expectations, and be prepared to lay low for at least 6 weeks.

Finally- i made myself sick over the general anesthesia and my fear of it. it was a piece of cake- one minute i was talking to Dr. Silverman pre op, and the next thing i know, the surgery was over, and i was chatting with him again. I do not remember a thing.
I do not plan to ever post on this board again, or look at another post- preferring to put this all behind me, and move on with my new life, my new persona. I hope that i have encouraged or dissuaded guys suffering with gyno to do what is best for them, and their unique situation.
This is my first dealing with doctors that practice plastic surgery, and i am impressed. I am a musician, a creative soul, and what these guys do is sacred and incredible- unlike any type of doctor that i know of.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024